TOP END question

NJblaster94

Jan 12, 2012
NJ
i'm redoing my top end, should i replace my head studs and bolts, and anyone know if the torque specs matter?

The head studs and nuts are reusable.

Nah, they just like putting torque specs in the book as a joke. <---JUST KIDDING! Of course they matter. The proper amount of torque keeps the head from lifting allowing the engine to leak compression.

The base nut torque isn't AS crucial as the head torque but it's a good idea to get the base nuts pretty good and tight as well

The head studs and nuts are reusable.

Nah, they just like putting torque specs in the book as a joke. <---JUST KIDDING! Of course they matter. The proper amount of torque keeps the head from lifting allowing the engine to leak compression.

The base nut torque isn't AS crucial as the head torque but it's a good idea to get the base nuts pretty good and tight as well

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!! I laughed so hard I farted twice.

Also the torque prevents you from over tightening and stripping the threads in the head, or better yet, snapping the head of the bolt.

Anytime something is in a manual, it is solid guidelines (a little stronger than Pirate Code Matey, RRRRR), unless of course it says, "or comparable", "other equally approved" and my favorite "in general".

BAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAA!!! I laughed so hard I farted twice.

Also the torque prevents you from over tightening and stripping the threads in the head, or better yet, snapping the head of the bolt.

Anytime something is in a manual, it is solid guidelines (a little stronger than Pirate Code Matey, RRRRR), unless of course it says, "or comparable", "other equally approved" and my favorite "in general".

Gastrointestinal issues aside I was of course joking about the torque specs being "only there as a joke".

There are multiple reasons why you need to properly torque the head nuts (a few more you hit) plus, you don't want an inconsistently torque head because of warpage issues, too!

Gastrointestinal issues aside I was of course joking about the torque specs being "only there as a joke".

There are multiple reasons why you need to properly torque the head nuts (a few more you hit) plus, you don't want an inconsistently torque head because of warpage issues, too!

Right! On all counts.

JNblaster94, Chapter 2 of the Blaster manual, download it and print two copies, one for next to your pillow and one for the shop, http://www.blasterforum.com/general-support-17/downloadable-yamaha-blaster-manual-17325/, is a great place to look for your torque specs. Page 2-7 specifically, or just click on maintenance specifications in the Bookmarks to the left.