toomey plug chop

SOMETHING IS OFF BECAUSE IT STILL RUNS LIKE CRAP ON THE TOP END. IT HAS THE 300 MIKUNI MAIN JET IN IT RIGHT NOW AND IT RUNS LIKE THE 270RD. THE LID IS OFF THE BOX AND THIS IS AN OILED UNI FILTER IN THE AIRBOX. It ran out of fuel while riding. before I realized it and switched over to reserve it cleared up the bog and ran great. Then ran out of fuel and stalled. After I switched to reserve and ran it again the bog was back. im going to experiment with the 250. it is what I had in it before the pipe. when I did a plug chop on it it was rich. so im thinking a 260 but who knows. Im going to do a plug chop on the 250 and will let you know.

How is the float level?

good point /\
i'd also check the screens inside the petcock and fuel flow to the carb for blockages/good flow ?
seeing as how you say a switch to reserve changed how it ran

the float level looks good. I ran out of fuel and it ran better. it seems to load up at hi rpm. so when it ran out of fuel it cleared itself out and ran good until the fuel bowl was empty. then I switched to reserve and the bog was back.

I put the 250 in and gained a lot of power. of course. I have yet to do a plug chop. but it still seems to gurgle spit and sputter or bog at wot and hi rpm it acts like it is hitting a wall at hi rpm and wont go past it. but it seems like it isn't as hi as it should be.

I have been looking throught the carb info ie float settings how to's on jetting and so on. I just saw in one that there is a washer unter the main jet. Mine does not have this. What would this do

I have been looking throught the carb info ie float settings how to's on jetting and so on. I just saw in one that there is a washer unter the main jet. Mine does not have this. What would this do

Curious to this as well. I think it puts the jet at the correct height in the bowel?

bingo !!!!!!
that brass washer must be under the main jet, or you'll have the jetting headaches you're now having
the brass washer is actually to hold the needle jet down into the carb, when removed the needle jet can be pushed up and out the carb bore
but i'm sure the washer has to do with where the main jet is in relation to the fuel level also

be sure the plastic slosh baffle is on there too ?

Gotta be a washer there, jetting will be a nightmare without it.

btw....have some reps for doing your homework !!!

It is possible to check the fuel level by attaching a length of clear plastic tubing to the drain nipple , lifting it up the side of the carby, and cracking the drain screw.

The fuel should show in the pipe to the level of the carb body above the float bowl gasket.

Thanks for the rep! I checked the float level. it is 21mm. I found a washer on another carb. put it on and tried the 250 main. WOW!!!!!!!!!!!! im very impressed. Im almost scared of it. Now I need to set jetting and do a plug chop. Ill see what it is with the 250. If its lean which it should be then ill go to my 300. I only have those two in genuine mikuni.