to ski or not to ski

2stroke4ever

Aug 26, 2009
Okoboji Iowa
www.oakhillmarina.com
anyone have experience with mounting ski's on a quad, not even nessisarily a blaster, just curious if it's worth the trouble, i have a buddy that works at a machine shop and owe's me and we discussed putting ski's on my blater, i'm just not sure if it's worth spending the money on the plastic ski's, loops, and carbides, even used owns bring 75 or 100 and that's more than i wanna spend if it's gonna be a junky setup, let me know your imputs

from what I've seen its a great snow upgrade , allows your front suspension to ride the surface and not sink in , with a set of sand paddles out back you are good to go . anything deeper than a foot and you'll experience some problems just sinking into the deep stuff .
I don't get hardly enough snow out my way to justify it , we get 6-12" at most and generall I'll ride that no problems

Before you dump the money into the actual snow kit for your Blaster, I saw a video on youtube of a Kawasaki 400-450 that the guy set up for the snow with less than like $50. He took and put a snowmobile ski under the front tire and ran a ratchet strap up over the tire from the front of the ski and to the back and hooked the hooks in holes. He then tightened the strap up so it wouldn't slip off. It worked pretty well and I thought it was pretty cool. If you get the time look for that video maybe it will help save you some money and work.

to make a bracket for the front hubs is easy , and you could simply make your own skids from a good hardwood , polyeurethane it , then wax it . few hours worth of fab time and its done .
I'd like to make a set of blaster tracks for the rear , just the cost of material is the holdback

i've experienced paddle's in the snow and they work bad azz on any snow unless it's rock hard, thing is that i do most of my riding out on the snowy lake, not that wheels aren't getting the job done it's that i'm looking for better control in the snow and the occasional romp in the power i think ski's would work good, i've seen the kaw vids and ratchet strap setup's on youtube, i'm thinkin something a little more custom, the ski's are the expensive part, the brackets will cost next to nothing to make, just curious if anyone had any personal experience, thanks for the input so far