Tire size

DUMMYATV

Jul 12, 2011
SOUTH CAROLINA
Hi guys. I am sort of new to ATVs. I purchased a 1996 Blaster which needs new tires. I really don't like the balloon tires in the back. Here are the dimensions:
REAR 21x10-8
FRONT 21x7-10

My question is, which number reps wheel/rim size? I want a more boxxie look to the rear tires. The fronts dont bother me. Also, any wholesale sites that sell cheap wheel/tire packages?

I plan to use the help of this site to make this 4 wheeler faster, and more appealing. I HAVE NO CLUE WHAT THE PREVIOUS OWNER DONE TO IT, BUT THIS THING RUNS 60mph PERIOD! Will post pics soon THANKS IN ADVANCE TO ALL WHO REPLY

check motosport.com and rockymountainatvmc.com. they typically have wheel and tire packages for decent prices. and you either want 20x11x8's for the rear if you do alot of trail riding and a little track riding, or 18x11x8's if you mostly mx race and do very little trails. the first number is the diameter of the full tire. the second number is the width of the tread. and the third number is rim size. stock rear rims are 8x8

if your going for a boxy look, get some 20x11-9 holeshots or razr tires and some banshee rims and hubs, you won't regret getting those rolled lip rims, they are strong as hell

Going to the 9inch rims gives you a larger selection of tires, and with Banshe/warrior hubs also allows you to be able to pick up used tire/wheel combos off CL in 8, 9, 10 in wheels.

Going to the 9inch rims gives you a larger selection of tires, and with Banshe/warrior hubs also allows you to be able to pick up used tire/wheel combos off CL in 8, 9, 10 in wheels.
Kool. How much am I looking to pay for some good used banshee hubs? Also, are they simple enough to swap on my own? Just a few bolts n nuts? Thanks guys. This a great helpful site!

I picked up a set of Banshee hubs for $25 brand new. Keep an eye out for Warrior hubs, they probably go for less even tho they're the same. Look at them closely that the splines and studs are good. Also raptor and yfz are same. Not 100% on700 raptor hubs.
As to swapping , pull cotter pin, nut, pull them off. I would put anti-sieze on splines, or at least a little greas to keep them from rusting on. Be sure to tighten nut real good and put cotter pin back.

I picked up a set of Banshee hubs for $25 brand new. Keep an eye out for Warrior hubs, they probably go for less even tho they're the same. Look at them closely that the splines and studs are good. Also raptor and yfz are same. Not 100% on700 raptor hubs.
As to swapping , pull cotter pin, nut, pull them off. I would put anti-sieze on splines, or at least a little greas to keep them from rusting on. Be sure to tighten nut real good and put cotter pin back.
Thanks Larry! I will be sure to try this. I am super excited about this process. To be clear, I just need the bigger hubs in the rear correct????

What kind of riding do you do and where do you live?? A lot of people like the smaller tires but I prefer larger. 18s are for MX track only. Stock is 21" tall.....why would you go smaller?? I don't think there are a lot of 21" replacement tires though, so that may be why? I run 22" mud lites which are an agressive yet light enough for the blaster to spin mud tire and I love them. As is, my 3/16 baja skid plate is bashed all to hell....I don't want to lose ground clearance!! I ride in the woods through rocky trails more suited really to a 4x4 quad, but I got a blaster and I deal with it. I also tear through sand pits and such and do just fine.

Below is a pic of my old 20" Hole shots. They're great tires for what they're made for....but that's now what I use the quad for so I sold them and got the mud lites. Had them on my other blaster too that got stolen a few years ago, you can see it in my avatar. I had a bunch of pics but they're not on this comp and my photobucket account that has them on it (I have two for some reason) won't open....apparently haven't been on there in way too long :(.

If you don't have rocks and you do mainly graded dirt roads/fire roads and such that have loose dirt on top with a harder surface underneath, you'll like the hole shots...or any of 50 different slightly different variations of this design. They're also great at not tearing up your lawn if that matters to you, haha.

Here are the hole shots, 20x10x8 IIRC
IMG_2806Medium.jpg

If you want something that's more middle of the road, not quite as agressive as mud lites, yet it will be more at home on graded roads/packed trails, etc. then look for kenda klaws. good luck! Oh and I recommend keeping an eye on craigslist, you can find blaster tires even in stock size in craigslist....they're not as common as some other sizes (which is why it's not a bad idea to swap the hubs, etc) but they are around.

That's funny, I also have mud lites I got off a Warrior. 22/11/9. I had to flip them to clear heel gaurds. Only draw back is I have to get them spinning before I try sliding them, otherwise it tries to tip.

ITP sells a 20'' GNCC for like $58 a tad high but there premium tires that you just cant beat and they last forever good luck.........I:I

I have a set of maxxis razr cross tires on the rear of my bslasty and so far they have performed great and have barely any wear after several months riding.

It really truly is what wour riding preferance and riding conditions are. you cant go wrong with most of the namebrand ones I have brand new retro turf tamers (carlside/ITP) on mine from 1995 that were never used and they look to be holding up very well so far.