timing?

johnsonsf8878

Feb 13, 2010
Maine
What kind of issues would I have if my timing is off from my key being sheared? I am starting to think that is my problem.

thanks

Shifting? I did not know it would effect that as I can shift normal. So maybe that is not my problem.

I dont know about the shifting problem myself. But like stated it will run like crap, backfiring and yes the motor could run backwards if the timing is that off.

What problems are you having?

I dont know about the shifting problem myself. But like stated it will run like crap, backfiring and yes the motor could run backwards if the timing is that off.

What problems are you having?

Its acting like its not getting fuel. It will back fire occasionally but that is all it will do. I have another carb I am going to try and put on plus I picked up a flywheel puller to check the timing key. Not sure what else to look at as compression is good.

Have you checked your reeds? Have you checked to see if fuel is going to the carb from the petcock? It might be clogged.

Have you checked your reeds? Have you checked to see if fuel is going to the carb from the petcock? It might be clogged.

Fuel makes it into the bowl on the carb. I am trying a few things this weekend. Its almost Spring I need to get it running soon!!!! Yes I have checked the reeds and tried to different sets. I have 2 engines that I have been swapping parts around with.

Any suggestions by anyone would be huge to check!

Thanks I:I

i would check the key man.....sounds like the prob.....but as far as it causing a shifting prob, ive never heard of that....and if its sheared off its not gonna run good enough to be able to shift any gears

i've sheared keys and i promise it's not going to affect your shifting, easiest way is to take the flywheel off and look, sheared keys can do some funky stuff, might be the case of partially sheared, then it'll start like sh*t but run like a mother f***er, i've had that with like an extra 8 or so degree's i figured, prolly wouldn't have lasted long haha, if you backfiring and popping do a plug check sounds to me like a fueling issue, clean that carb and check your jetting once