Time for a clutch

xJust_Causex

Apr 14, 2010
york, Illinois
Well my GF's sister boyfriend had traded for a 300ex, and bought a 400ex for 800 bucks, and being the 4th her brother wanted to go out to a friends. So we took the bikes and found out that my clutch is still slipping. It did it a few weeks ago and found out her brother put 10-40w motor oil in the case and made it slip. I changed the oil and put bel-ray 80w back in it and fixed it. Well it started slipping again and someone added oil to it, but I have no idea who did it. Well I change the oil out again and it fixed it for a bit, but is still slipping a little especially when it rolls into the pipe. I should be getting a case gasket and allen bolts sometime this week, so I will pull it apart and try adjusting it and see how much it helps, but I will prolly get a new one anyway.

So the question come down should I go with a stock rebuild kit, or an aftermarket one. I have been looking at a barnes dirt digger but at 125 buck is it worth it. This is a basically stock bike, with a aftermarket pipe I know nothing about. only future mods I'm looking at are a DIY P&P and maybe a jump to a toomey or shearer pipe. Let me know what you think, kinda had to rant, and felt like talking haha.

someone added oil to it?

Yep, when I last changed the oil I only had around 600cc of oil in it which puts it near the bottom of the sight glass, and after it started slipping I checking cause I thought maybe it was low, and the it was near the top of the glass. There has been a couple guys sneaking around where I keep it at night and one of them has a blasty that needs cases, so were wondering if maybe he isn't try to get it to f'up and I'll part it, there has been a couple other things mess with as well. One of the other 200x motors they have in the garage has had all the head bolts pulled from it, and one of the guys that are sneaking around have a friend that is building a 200x.

Another suggestion for the Tusk kit. I just installed on into my buddies Banshee.

2 things worth noting.

1) you can get the Tusk HD kit and it comes with the stiffer springs for more holding power, but you dont want to use all 6 springs, the banshee guys use 3 normal springs and 3 HD springs and it works out great for them. Still more holding power, better than stock, but not too stiff as to kill your left hand every time you ride

2) they dont have the rubber band dampeners on the clutch plates so when you have the clutch in and you rev the engine when its not all the way warmed up the clutch will stick a little and you will move forward. Note, this isnt that big of a deal, as when its warmed up it seems to ride and engage/disengage as well as stock. Double Note - if your stock plates with the dampening rings on them are still in tact, you can simply reuse them assuming its all in good shape. Triple note, you can buy the dampening rings from Yamaha for somewhere like 8 dollars a piece and you need 6 of em I think.

For the money the Tusk kit doesnt seem to be beaten.

Word of advice, when you change your clutch, wash your case out as good as you can as you will have clutch material in your fluid. When you fill it back up, use 10w30 motor oil, run it around the block or for 10-15 minutes or so, bring it back, drain it, and then refill it with the proper oil. We had to do the fill/drain thing twice on the banshee because of just how smoked his clutch was. It was DEAD...

Another word of advice, theres a lock washer behind the nut that holds the clutch basket in that is supposed to be replaced every time you have the basket off. Its about 5 bucks or less from Yamaha. Id get one of those and have it on hand just in case you need it. You will probably need a new case seal, or at least have one on hand in case yours needs it. The banshee case seal was able to be reused as the seal was in perfect shape, but the lock washer was toast. So it was good to have that and the shift shaft seal on hand just in case.

Hope this helps.

Oh, one last thing. If you never have replaced your shifter shaft and your shifting is a bit notchy or loose you can get the shifter shaft from yamaha for 30 something dollars and it really improved the shifting feel on that banshee.

Ill be replacing my blasters clutch with the Tusk HD kit, doing exactly what I told you to do, and replacing the shift shaft seal, the shift shaft, and using 3 hd springs and 3 regular ones soon.