Third piston since september

joedirt5724

Mar 2, 2009
westmoreland, ny
My blasty blew up again for the 3rd time since September. It broke the damn intake skirt right off the piston.

i513bp.jpg

2dkczgh.jpg

2mh75g3.jpg

The first time it blew up it broke a ring, cause they spun and caught a port.
The second time was 2 days after the fresh top end was installed. The company i had bore my cylinder bored to tight to the motor instantly seized. And now im not really sure why it broke again???
Oh and the piston seams to be greasy.

it was probally a sh*tty bore job and you had extreme piston slap causeing the skirt to break. thats nasty stuff man..:eek:

I run 93 octane highest i can get at the pump, and amsoil dominator racing oil. And after the second blow up i had the cylinder honed by a good friend thats big into lake racing with sleds and had him hone the cylinder for me and i could see my reflection on it.

Well..to start with, you will NOT see your reflection in a good hone job. a good hone job will reveal a dull looking cross hatch pattern. This throws into question the sizing/clearance of your bore/hone job. Is that piston a wiseco?? probably not, they dont usually come apart. A cylinder is bored slightly undersized, then honed to proper clearances. Unless he had full length stones and a micrometer there is no telling whether it was tapered or out of round. were the ports chamfered?

Well..to start with, you will NOT see your reflection in a good hone job. a good hone job will reveal a dull looking cross hatch pattern. This throws into question the sizing/clearance of your bore/hone job. Is that piston a wiseco?? probably not, they dont usually come apart.

i was thinking that too with the crosshatching, last time i got a fresh bore back it was dull and kinda rough