The build has begun!

Got the carrier and brake bracket sanded down and polished

026.jpg

020-2.jpg

011-4.jpg

004-3.jpg

Haha...just wait til I get this thing done...with it getting clear coated on most of the parts, I will not be afraid to get it dirty

Thanks man...I can't wait neither...but money constraints builds patience on this build! I got too many ideas...but its gonna have a spider theme. I drew up these in microsoft word for some new vinyl graphics on the plastics

Blaster.jpg

Looks awesome, I think ya should put the yamaha sign on the body of the spider! that swinger is the badest i've seen yet!

Started on extending my stock steering stem. Just got a piece of round stock and put it inside of the stock hole about an inch and welded it on. Made sure it was a tight fit too so it wouldn't be crooked. Then got another piece of round stock to slide over it, again about an inch inside, and i will weld it on. First I'm gonna buy my anti vibe clamp and make an I, notch the round tubing on the stem that i welded on last, center it up, then weld that on to mount my clamp to. Then gusset it and it will be done! +1 anti vibe stem...

003-5.jpg

005-3.jpg

To get the stock clamp off the stem, i had to grind the weld from the center of it, then beat it off with a ball peen. Made sure to go around it to get the stock clamp off. Cut everything off straight with the chop saw as well. Once done, I am stripping the coating and polishing the whole stem. Here is a mocked up version of what it will look like. Found some tubing and welded it together to see how it would look. Similar to the Lonestar stems. Of course everything will be cut down so it will be an exact fit.

006-5.jpg

Lonestar stem

Lonestar.jpg

looks good. on the I piece that u made the inside of the pipes are angled on the inside to fit the rubber grommets on the anti vibe clamps u planning on doing it that way or how are u planning on doing it

looks nice man, i may have to do this same thing when i'm ready to do a steering stem. that blaster is going to be shiiiiiiiiiinnnnnnnnnyyyyyyyyyy

That one piece I made was for a mock up...so its not perfectly straight. The final piece i make is gonna be matched up to the clamp and smaller I am assuming. The gussets on the inside are gonna be made as well. Or are you referring to the inside of the pipes are made to fit the grommets? If they are, do you have a pic of the angle you are referring to? I will see if i can fab that up as well...

Or are you referring to the inside of the pipes are made to fit the grommets? If they are, do you have a pic of the angle you are referring to? I will see if i can fab that up as well...

Lookin good! I:I The inside ends of the tubes are tapered to work with the rubber. With the taper the tighter the locknut the firmer the mount. Since I used Honda mounts I matched the taper of the cr250 triple clamp. Turned them from bar stock. Angle depends on the rubber you use.

Thanks for the info Otis! I wonder if you replace the tapered rubber bushings with some straight round ones, put a thick washer in the middle, and then tighten so it will flatten the rubber against the insides of the pipe and be secure enough going that route? Hmm...this is getting interesting...

You can try it. Might be able to cut & trim the rubber till ya get it just right. You might not know if it works till you ride and see if the caps bang against the tubes with aggressive riding. I picture it like taper thrust bearings. The taper is proper as it provides a smooth adjustment from soft to firm and still keeps the end caps from contacting the tubes under pressure. The tube length in relationship to the rubber stack is also critical.

http://www.blasterforum.com/body-15/cr-rubber-mount-bar-clamps-14517/

Last edited:
I saw them 250 clamps on ebay...notta bad idea. I followed that thread awhile back too and you're who put the idea in my head! If I could find a cheap set of them, I was gonna get a top bar clamp in billet so it would look much better. Hmm....gonna hafta think on this one some more. How did you get the inside of that bar milled out for the bushings? maybe i'll hafta see if Ken Oconnor can work with me and maybe fab me up 2 end pieces for the bushings to fit into. Hmm....

How did you get the inside of that bar milled out for the bushings? maybe i'll hafta see if Ken Oconnor can work with me and maybe fab me up 2 end pieces for the bushings to fit into. Hmm....

Did'em on the lathe. Piece of cake for Ken or any machine shop to cut the tapers. They just need the dimensions.

That one piece I made was for a mock up...so its not perfectly straight. The final piece i make is gonna be matched up to the clamp and smaller I am assuming. The gussets on the inside are gonna be made as well. Or are you referring to the inside of the pipes are made to fit the grommets? If they are, do you have a pic of the angle you are referring to? I will see if i can fab that up as well...

i dont have a pic right now but i can get u one sunday if u need a pic send me a pm and ill get ya one