tell me your thoughts

D

dave147025

okay i just got a blaster off of a guy on craigslist...he says he just rebuilt the engine but i know from experience u can not trust someones word... but heres the deal...i rode it pretty hard one weekend went to start it the next annnnd... it starts after awhile of kicking and in between some kicks it spits out a poof from the exhaust almost like a backfire but does not sound like one. i changed the plug and cleaned the carb and airfilter it will run but its definitely not running like its suppose to be it is about 20degrees in pittsburgh right now so i was leaning towards the jetting but i doubt it would be off thaaat bad because it was cold the weekend i was riding it also. the motor is alittle noisy it seems like to me i forget what it sounded like when i bought it its bored .40 over trenga carb and spacer and aktive carbon reeds toomey full b1... thats about it for motor is it time to rebuild already? also on my blaster i can push the kick starter down with real ease i cant remember wat it felt like when i bought it haha but i dont have a compression checker to check.

Last edited by a moderator:
if it hard to start it mean 2 things ,first doo a compression test you dont want it to be lower than 115psi,if comp is ok than is jetting,wath kind of carb you got(kehine or mikuni)if its kehine you should be around 175 to 185 main jet and pliot at 30 to 35 and needle at 3 clip ,if its mikuni you should be at 330 to 360 main and 3 clop on the needle and 28 pilot hope this help

rebuild that top end thats your only problem if you can do it with your hand with 40 over now way!!!! just put a new piston and rings you will be good to go

the motor is sitting on my desk right now its the piston theres a ton of play

Hmmm?

I think your both right. You need to check the compression first. I think you will find it's crap. Then you will need to rebuild the top end.

She shouldn't be uber easy to kick. The test to check is the compression first. Then the reeds.

R, nice specifics on the jetting. You scare me with your knowledge sometimes!!

I can almost spell as good as you though........

=))

A

OK

So measure her out and get a bore and piston to match, stuff in the proper rings and voila, you is back in business!!

A

I think your both right. You need to check the compression first. I think you will find it's crap. Then you will need to rebuild the top end.

She shouldn't be uber easy to kick. The test to check is the compression first. Then the reeds.

R, nice specifics on the jetting. You scare me with your knowledge sometimes!!

I can almost spell as good as you though........

=))

A
he he i still think thats i am better than you on spelling =))nahhhh, and for jet spec its just a average on wath it should be with is mod so dont take those spec as granted but its a start!!!

the problem could be all of the above or..
blown head gasket.
broken kickstart spring (replace it just incase if the kickstart is loose it costs 6$)
carb prob
no compression check the piton rings and rebuild

oh ya there were a few things, head gasket torn, exhaust gasket leaking, the rings were crazy tight on the piston and the piston was slapping like crazy gonna take it and get it measured and order what i need tomrrow thanks for everyones help...