Tank modifications or aftermarket?

SCOTTYINWV

May 1, 2014
Hi all,

Currently working on a 03+ blaster project. We are fitting an older suzuki engine that is quite large for the frame. We have the engine in place with a few mounts made. The new engine is quite a bit larger than the old 200. (Can't remember offhand what size) The head is only setting about an inch below the frame rails. There is not way the stock tank can fit where it protrudes under the frame rails.

Does anyone know of an aftermarket tank or a stock from another quad with a flat bottom that will not drop below the frame rails? This or cutting out the bottom of the tank, and trying to seal up another flat bottom seems to be our only option. Opinions are welcome here. Thanks!

I suggest making a custom fitting ally tank.
The other option would be to modify your current plastic one, but will need to be professionally plastic welded. .. (I used to do some plastic welding a few years back)
Its not that simple though, as you have to match the exact material and filler rod. The welding machine/setup is not to cheap either. But if your tank is polyprop or polyethylene, its not a problem.
Just please dont try sealers or adhesives to make big mods like that.

You can weld the plastic tank with a hot air welder, but you will never get it to stop leaking. Your only choice is to make a custom steel or aluminum tank.

You can weld the plastic tank with a hot air welder, but you will never get it to stop leaking. Your only choice is to make a custom steel or aluminum tank.
Incorrect, if one uses the correct filler and procedure it can be successfully done.

I don't know how much clearance you need or how picky you are, but an easy solution would be to use/make a spacer and put in between where the tank mounts to the frame.

OK, well I guess I must just suck at hot air welding, cause I'm pretty sure I used the right material and filler rod.

Here's a YouTube link on the first fire. Plug is fouled, carb and exhaust is loose.

You can kind of see how it's setting perdy high lol. Still working on motor mounts and strengthening the frame.

Sadly, he was in hurry to start it without finding the correct springs to hold the exhaust in place good. And the clamp on the carb was stripped and couldn't be tightened enough. This isn't mine lol. Mine isn't going to be done like this.

Haha this is my cousins. The old suzuki engine uses a slip on style exhaust with springs to hold it in place. I used some wire to tie it to the frame and hold it in place for the test fire. Want a perfect seal.

Off topic, but in what section would I post a "build thread" for my project? It's a pre 03 starting with just a bare frame and a bunch of left over parts.

Could be a good place to start

image.jpg

Could you use a heat gun to soften the tank to reshape it?
I'll have try that out.
excited to see your build
Haha it's not gonna be much, just a bunch of stock replacement parts lol. Now this build is gonna scare me a but on his.
Could be a good place to start

View attachment 9763
Thanks bud. I'm gonna have to start one tonight or tomorrow.
I've always wanted one of these. Hmm...

Last edited by a moderator: