Swingarm Bearings

mike11743

Feb 12, 2008
Well I was putting my motor bsck in my quad when I noticed that there were needle bearings all over the inside of the swingarm where the motor/swingarm boly goes through the swingarm so I tore it apart and the bearings/bushings were completely destroyedc so I chiseled out what I could. I got my new bearings in the mail with no instructions and I couldnt tell what came from where. I know the bearings are on the outsides, but I have two sets of rubber bushings that I know go on the other side of the swinger but I dont know the order. The service manual shows the dust covers and all the washers and covers that go on the outside of the swingarm, but not the inside. Si im wondering if anyone has recently done one of these and remembers where the longer bushings went and where the shprter ones went.

Attachments

• YA6642_25.jpg
    YA6642_25.jpg
    83.1 KB · Views: 1,216
Awesome. Thanks awk08 that really helps. This site is much more detailed than the repair manual I have and best of all its free.

i just replaces them today and spent 4 and a half hours doin it. if i can give anybody a tip, sand the inside of the swingarm dam good and DONT force it in. also, use a rubber mallet to push anything in and a larde bolt with a washer on it to push/pull anything out. to get out the old bearings you can use a bolt with a washer on one end and a nuth on the other and tighten it down to remove the old bearing or if the race (outside part of the bearing) is lodged in there use the same method or a nail and hammer it between the race and swingarm until it bends and then you can break it off with a neetlenose pliers. hope this helps!

I recommend people install grease fittings as well, not a MUST but your bearings packed with grease will last 3X longer. its an easy job and costs $2

I use 45o fittings, the one on the right has to be aimed back a bit so it does not hit the engine case when the suspension is compressed.

swingzerk.jpg