suspension headaches

Whitty21

Apr 15, 2010
Small town, ON, Canada
so i have taters plus 1.5 a-arms, and these works triple rate trx250r front shocks, which are 16.25". Sent them to works to to be reworked and shorten them a bit, well, they rebuilt them and didnt shorten them. I got busy and hadnt tried them out since, this was many months ago they did it. So i am kinda screwed that way.

They are about 3/4 of an inch too long. anyone know their way around these snap lock works shocks to give me any idea what to do. I am real close to just giving up, selling them and getting a set of yfz shocks.

i ran a set of yfz works 16.5's on my sons bike, had to ratchet strap them compressed to make them fit, felt like heaven, but wore the ball joints out in just that one season

i'd look into possibly having a new mount welded on lower down the a-arm, if it's anything like a swinger mount, you'd be surprised how little the mount needs moved to make them fit

i've also had every set of works i've owned apart by compressing the spring and removing the snap ring, not hard at all, but also not gonna do much good to raise the spring to reduce length, the shock rod will stay where it's at, even with the spring on it's lowest setting or completely removed
not sure where your going with the "snap ring" removal ????

i ran a set of yfz works 16.5's on my sons bike, had to ratchet strap them compressed to make them fit, felt like heaven, but wore the ball joints out in just that one season

i'd look into possibly having a new mount welded on lower down the a-arm, if it's anything like a swinger mount, you'd be surprised how little the mount needs moved to make them fit

i've also had every set of works i've owned apart by compressing the spring and removing the snap ring, not hard at all, but also not gonna do much good to raise the spring to reduce length, the shock rod will stay where it's at, even with the spring on it's lowest setting or completely removed
not sure where your going with the "snap ring" removal ????

i know what you mean, i could prolly compress them enough to get them on, but i dont wanna wear through bearings constatantly, and i m trying to avoid permanently moving a shock mount because i will wanna upgrade the a-arms in the future

At the risk of being told to wash my mouth out with caustic, you could use a Diamond lowering kit!

good idea, diamond also makes just a top shock mount relocator that allows the use of longer shocks, and it would all be bolt on/removeable for future upgrades

you could also try the lowering blocks that bolt on from cfm
(cfm's are the only ones suggested for mx/jumping on, guarenteed for life)

good idea, diamond also makes just a top shock mount relocator that allows the use of longer shocks, and it would all be bolt on/removeable for future upgrades

Who's life, the blocks, or the riders? :)

i know what you mean, i could prolly compress them enough to get them on, but i dont wanna wear through bearings constatantly, and i m trying to avoid permanently moving a shock mount because i will wanna upgrade the a-arms in the future

You could run the a-arms you have now with stock shocks until you get the a-arm upgrade you seek in the future instead of spending MORE money to make something work, you're not going to stick with in the end.

I had the same situation with my axis shocks that I purchased from tjsdaname. They were 20'' from eye to eye and I needed 19 1/2''. The solution, have the shocks shortened. I had my shock guy make a set of 1/2'' spacers and installed them inside the shock on the shaft so it can't extend out all the way. You just need a piece of round stock with a big enough hole for the shock shaft to fit through. When the shaft extends it'll hit the round stock instead of the shock body

CFM blocks will not work period, been there done that and still have a new set for paper weights.

works was supposed to shorten them, that is my problem lol

Call them up and tell them. doesn't matter if you've had them back for a few months, call them and tell them you've been busy working and just now got around to installing the shocks and they don't fit.