Sunk my jeep

blastermaster01

Jul 22, 2009
North Carolina
Hey I haven't been on here in awhile but I thought I'd post something. I went mudding yesterday in my jeep. (88' Cherokee with 3" lift and 31"s) Went through 2 big holes then we came up to a really big hole lol. Well to the right was a another hole that went around the big one. My friend said it was "not that deep" lol well put it in 4-lo and boom just sunk. Water up to the top of my tires. I was instantly stuck, there was no way in hell I was getting out so im thinking im pretty much screwed. Well I called someone and about 10 went by and water started to come in my cab. Filled up the floorboards right below my gas/brake/clutch pedal. Had to keep the engine running and the water was freezing cold so my foot was frozen lol. My friend in a 97 lifted Tacoma on 33's came to pull me out and the chain snapped and shattered his rear window. Then he left and I had to call my dad to come pull me out. He has a 06' Ford F-150 and after a few snapped ropes and chains he finally got me out. His truck is in great condition and low miles and it was the cleanest truck I have ever seen and he popped his tire pulling me out so I felt bad about that. My rear bumper was bent up and my hitch bent from pulling so i cant open my back hatch lol. But no electrical issues to my surprise. This weekend im stripping the carpet and seats out and rhino lining it, probly buy new carpet or let this carpet dry out not sure yet. And my right sway bar quick disconnect is broken now and I just got them after i put the lift on..which sucks. anyway thats my story sorry its so long. I know pics or you're lying. I dont have any pics of the water inside cause my phone was dead but i can go snap some of the interior right now. and a pic of the outside after i pulled it out..

182459_200222263325327_100000126651748_908031_4808889_n.jpg

Right on....
No mud truck or jeep should have a carpet, spray it with the truck bed liner. Lighter and easy to clean.
move your air intake up higher
No matter what, never use hooks or chains when towing.
I had a friend die after a strap broke, the hook came through his back window and thru his head.
Make sure your tow points or hooks are bolted/welded to the truck.. If you are winching, wrap the cables. if it breaks you dont want anything coming at you.

Chains and cables are extremely dangerous as pointed out by yfs101.
If youre going to mud your jeep I would recommend getting a few REAL straps( like the 6" wide ones) and a couple good clevis'
I've been mudding and stuck several times. Many of which required yanking to get my jeep out and not once has anyone been hurt nor strap broken.
There are tools for every job. Its better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

sounds like you need a winch and a snorkle. i just got rid of a 85 jeep cj7 with inline 6, 31s, 3 inch lift, on board air, and rhino lined interior. best damn climbing toy in the world.