subwoofer hook up help ohms and stuff

Mborso1029

Oct 2, 2009
SouthEast MI
alright so my bro got some subs and an amp for his car for xmas...im getting them hooked up for him...i just was wondering which is better to use...i believe the 4 ohm is better set up. he has 2 4 ohms subs with the dual coils. but they dude sold him a single channel amp...and im pretty sure that if you hook those up in series you'd get 2 ohms? so im thinking of having him take it back and get a dual channel so we can run 4 ohms...this is the set up i want to run i just dont know if its ideal?

2z6fcyx.gif

and that should work on mono channel correct? ^^^

what about this one?? this one isnt good right? its 2 ohms

2akdqh.gif

what would the diagram be with a dual channel amp at 4 ohms

either way dropping down to two ohms isnt all that hard on the amp.. i wouldnt worry about it to much and hook it up at 2 ohms. i had an old school soundstream amp that could push 6 12" with no problem. and is a 1/2 ohm stable. the old school cheater amps is where its at.
boss isnt the top of the line in amps imo. but i dont think you should have any trouble dropping down to 2 ohms.

i dont think you will have a problem either way.. you start running into problems when you want to push 4, 6 or even 8 speakers with one amp. then you gotta start worrying about the ohms.

If they are dual voice coil subs as you said the first diagram is the only way you can go. If you parallel the voice coils you'd be at a 1 ohm load and that's pushing the limit. I'd run it like the first diagram if the speakers are indeed dual 4 ohm voice coil.

alright so my bro got some subs and an amp for his car for xmas...im getting them hooked up for him...i just was wondering which is better to use...i believe the 4 ohm is better set up. he has 2 4 ohms subs with the dual coils. but they dude sold him a single channel amp...and im pretty sure that if you hook those up in series you'd get 2 ohms? so im thinking of having him take it back and get a dual channel so we can run 4 ohms...this is the set up i want to run i just dont know if its ideal?

2z6fcyx.gif

and that should work on mono channel correct? ^^^

what about this one?? this one isnt good right? its 2 ohms

2akdqh.gif

what would the diagram be with a dual channel amp at 4 ohms

If they amp can handle a 1 ohm or 2 ohm load than the first set up you have pictured will work.

the boss should be 2 ohm, wire it to 2 ohm, 2 ohm will be louder, sound better,

cheater amps are the cats ass, thats all me and my buddys ran, sucked cos we got shafted in comps cos they knew what amps were what

i ran a smaller cheater, mark anthony mp40... 40 watts x1 @4 ohms, and iirc 1782? at 1 ohm :) pushing one 12'' DD 45 in a spec built 3.3 cubic foot slot port tuned for 39-54 hertz.. and shoulda been HURTS!! that in a eclipse was STUPID loud for asmall amp with a single sub, 144.3 db on a pro meter sealed up ( most comps ran sealed up, i got eatin up in outlaw class due to my single sub, i couldnt compete against the 18s) and tripped off 146.5 db outlaw ( drivers door open meter under dash by right kick panel)
people HATED sittin in the back seat, had many many people bail cos tey couldnt breath, some songs got that way in the front seat, but i was usedto ridin in my buddy 89 z24 with a power V wall with 8 12'' orion xtr pros running off one hcca 500.2? ( 3000-5500 watts orion wouldnt give a exact number for competition reasons)

another thing to help with the set up, BIG power wire, BIG ground, and big speaker wire... i run 8 g speaker wire on my big set ups and 10 on anothing else, ..

i picked up .8 db just on switching to bigger speaker wire

cool thanks alot...so you think it should be wired to the 2 ohms set up? its for my dumbass brother that really is stupid...im thinkin if i wire it to 2 ohms itll just HELP him blow them

LOL... its simple to set it up... since its not for competition ...

turn everything down on the amp, i normally run the bass all the way down on the deck unless im running sound quality which i never did, and turn the music on he listins to, and turn it up to the highest listning level he will have it at, and start to turn the gain up untell its about where it sounds the best, you dont want it over powering the mids and highs,

with 12s id set the low pass cross over around 65-80 unless he mostly listins to rock, than 75-90 hz

Reactions: Mborso1029