Stumped on my blaster, got ideas?

RedneckWoman08

May 17, 2013
just outside york, PA
Hey guys, im having a little issue with my blaster. i have a 1991. it's all stock to my knowledge, has what i believe to be a stock carb on it with the auto-idle box on top. problem is, it wont pull gas from the tank. We drained and pulled the tank thinking it was the petcock valve clogged up. pulled that cleaned it etc, put it together and had the same issue. pulled the carb, tore it completely down and cleaned everything put it back together and still had the same problem. ran new lines with new fuel filter and everything. still same problem. pulled the line off the carb and held it over a gas can, opened the petcock, and it drain from the tank. hok it back to the carb and it wont pull from the tank!! what the heck is going on!!?? lol we are at a loss as to what to do, we have never seen this before and even got advice from Action MotorSports and still with the issue. PLEASE someone have the solution! I can't afford a new carb right now as i just ordered a ton of parts for my 01 that needs tons of tlc, so im hoping desperately it's not in need of a new one lol. you can reply (but im not sure how i will get it, im new here and this is my first post) or i enabled email and put in my yahoo tag for IM's. Thanks in advance for the help!! :D

So you are sure there's no gas flowing into the engine ? Are you getting gas into the dual bowl? It's going to take a little more info to track the problem down.

welcome to BF fellow PA'er

2 reasons the carb bowl won't fill with fuel....

1 clogged vent in the carb cap, (stock cap only)
they are like a 1 way valve, allowing air in, but if flipped, a ball blocks fuel from exiting out the vent tube
try removing the carb cap to eliminate a vapor lock in the tank.
i'd lose the inline filter also

2. something with the floats or float valve preventing fuel supply to the bowl

did you remove the floats and float valve during the cleaning of the carb ?
spray carb cleaner and compressed air thru all passages, including the fuel feed thru the removed float valve ?
set the float height ?

here's the help threads on proper carb cleaning and float height

carb cleaning
http://www.blasterforum.com/carburetor-138/how-clean-your-carb-pics-209/

float height
http://www.blasterforum.com/carburetor-138/float-heights-how-adjust-them-50565/

@blasterdemon7 yes im sure, when we replaced the fuel line we used clear line so we could see it, it won't pull from the tank, we even switched the tanks with my 01 (because we know that works/starts/runs) and same problem. we were told to clean the carb by AMS and that it's a "vacuum seal" type of deal, but cleaning didn't work. the float doesn' get stuck when we mess with it, and we do need the inline filter because there are no other filters for the fuel and thats why the 01 needs bored out lol (didn't have an inline filter, dirt got in and gouge up the piston and cylinder) :/ i have terrible luck by the way lol. i will check those links and see about the cap, in case its a "worst case scenario" im looking on ebay lol. what is the stock carb do you know offhand? i have to see the name thats on it again but im starting to think it's not stock. if i can find a cheap rebuild kit would that solve the issue if nothing else does? thanks guys!!! (back out to mess with it! i'll check in if a few!)

ok, so the carb is a mikuni(sp?) which im pretty sure is not stock. also i found a little black hose that looks to be a vacuum hose, that's broke/cut off....and the morons had a screw shoved in to bock it... SMH. (by the way i just got it today) so i took out the screw so the hose is open and still nothing. i can't find where that would connect to so advice there would be helpful too. i think this thing is a mess more than what i was told lol

Do not run it with that hose open !!!!! I beleave that's the oil injection line your talking about. I'm thinking the float adjustment is way off or there's something wrong that's holding the float closed when the bowl is installed.

From reading the information frovided here is my advice. If you have the tors "auto idle as you call it" then it is a stock carb. The vacuum line with the screw in it is the block off for the oil injection. AWK listed everything that could cause this. Did you assemble the float correctly? If the float is hung up it will seal off the fuel passage. What confuses me is you say you put clear fuel line on and can't see fuel coming through. If this is the case there is an issue with the petcock. Pull fuel line off tank and open petcock. Get rid off the fuel filter, you have one on the petcock. If you don't have a lot of fuel in the tank switch it to reserve. See if you get fuel out of petcock. Report progress.

If this is the line that is capped off that is from your oil injection system. This is on the kicker side of the quad. Having that blocked off means they have removed the injection system and you need to be premixing you fuel.
Most mix at 32:1 which would be one gallon of fuel to four ounces of a quality two stroke oil made for motorcycles.

It sounds as if you have a problem with the float in your carb.

If this is the line that is capped off that is from your oil injection system. This is on the kicker side of the quad. Having that blocked off means they have removed the injection system and you need to be premixing you fuel.
Most mix at 32:1 which would be one gallon of fuel to four ounces of a quality two stroke oil made for motorcycles.

It sounds as if you have a problem with the float in your carb.

That is the hose im talking about. The guy said it's blocked off so we did mix it 32:1 (same for my other blaster and our other stuff lol). what can i do for that hose? I may be a redneck but i don't want to be sticking a screw in there if there are much better options lol. also, it's not the petcock valve that is the issue, because like i said, we even switched tanks with my other blaster that DOES work and run and it still doesn't pull from the tank. I'm looking into a rebuild kit, would that be ideal? or should i just get a float, or can i just fix it somehow? if i can just adjust it, is there a how-to as i have never had to deal with that before lol. thanks!! :) hopefully this bugger will be running tomorrow!

Where the gas line connect to the carb (the brass thingy) Is there something inside that?? If the float were set wrong, i think gas would come out the overflow valves... This just sounds like something it inside it...

Where the gas line connect to the carb (the brass thingy) Is there something inside that?? If the float were set wrong, i think gas would come out the overflow valves... This just sounds like something it inside it...

nope, all "holes" are clear :) tomorrow I guess we are going to stalk out info on adjusting the float and see if that works. if not then we are back to square one. Any PA'ers know of any reputable places that can bore out a cylinder for less than $75? my 01 needs bored out BAD. :(

Ok. If you have flow through you line when not disconnected to carb try this. Loosen the cap on the carb. If it flows you have to a vent problem. If it doesn't take the carb of and remove the float completly. Install carb with float or float needle.if you have flow your float level is way off or the float is getting hung up.

Ok. If you have flow through you line when not disconnected to carb try this. Loosen the cap on the carb. If it flows you have to a vent problem. If it doesn't take the carb of and remove the float completly. Install carb with float or float needle.if you have flow your float level is way off or the float is getting hung up.

ok, so if it flows with the cap loosened or off, meaning a vent issue, how would i fix that? and if that doesn't change and we reinstall the bowl without the float and that does make it flow, should i look for a rebuild kit? or what would i need for it? thank you!I:I

Pull the float bowl off and with carb in boot turn fuel on and see if fuel flows. While fuel is flowing gently push float up to see if it shuts fuel off. When you let go of float does fuel resume flowing?

I would highly suggest blowing compressed air through ALL passages in carb, I prefer to do it both ways to insure they are clear. Be sure to hit both bowl vents on either side of carb and make sure vent tubes are clear.

Either float is sticking closed due to mangled float, sticky pin, or massively out of adjustment. Procedure for float adjustment is in here : http://www.blasterforum.com/general-support-17/downloadable-yamaha-blaster-manual-17325/

As to oil nipple, clean any oil off and out of it and fill it with 3bond, Yamma bond, Holimar, JB Weld, last choice is silicon.

Float level should 20 to 21.5mm on a stock carby.

7580-user5502-pic7361-1341402759.jpg

7362-float-tang.jpg

you want to turn the carb and hold it on a slight angle to measure the float height, like shown here......

24dn86f.jpg

it should just barely be touching the inner needle, not depressing it,

It is possible to check the fuel level by attaching a length of clear plastic tubing to the drain nipple , lifting it up the side of the carby, and cracking the drain screw.

The fuel should show in the pipe to the level of the carb body above the float bowl gasket.

ok so we got the fuel flowing. had to take out the inline filter (which we really do need, but oh well) and pulled the float cleaned it etc put it back. NOW we don't have any or enough spark. so after our plans here, we are coming back and trying another ignition coil! plus the idiots apparently we in the wiring so it may end up needing a whole new harness, UGH!!. one other question, what is the plus that comes out of the top of the throttle box? its just hanging there disconnected, but the throttle still opens when you press the button?

The block on top of the carb is part of the TORS system. It's a system designed to cut out spark if the throttle sticks open. The parts to the system are, the large unit on top of the carb, a position switch in the thumb throttle unit and a small electronic box under the hood. Most people delete the system .