struts or shocks ?

struts or shocks ?

• Total voters

uglybettyblastr

Sep 5, 2011
i sand drag so, the question at hand is: should i run struts or shocks?...i raced my 660 raptor with struts and it ran awesome....what do you think ?

most of the serious racers at busco right now are running struts
but i fail to understand that ????
nhra drag racers run shocks to transfer the weight to the rear upon launching, and i believe shocks would keep the tires on the ground to put the power down better on a rougher track ????

i say front struts and a shortened rear shock of some sort, i'v seen marvin shaw shocks used for dragging but never really understood their actual use or if they'r any good

ok, thnx for the input guys...as far as a rougher track....i usually run on sand so,dont really have to worry about a rougher terrain...lol...and i dont know how to explain...by theory,you are right on a nhra drag car....can anyone explain struts on a sand drag bike ?

The main benefits of struts are, easy customization to the desired ride hight and lighter weight . You do take a little beating if it's not a real smooth track but alot of people feel that it's easyer to hook up off the line with not having to deal with the loading and unloading of the shock springs. The other big benefit is that it's much cheaper and easyer to set up then a custom shock.

i feel like if you have a solid strut on the back, its going to transfer the weight into and plant the tires better than a shock soaking it up. at least on a light bike. on a car, i understand its different.

They use "drag shocks" on NHRA because wheel hop is a major concern. The big sticky rubber tires actually have to slip at the launch to keep from rolling them off the bead and the unloading of the tires casues them to bounce. If you have a solid suspension the bounce would be shoved into the chassis of the car lifting it off the track and just a few feet of the start line lifting the rear axle (and subsequently the rear tires) causing a smoke show.

On sand, the paddles and the sand itself act as springs allowing the tire to load and unload indepedent of the chassis. No suspension needed and because the limit of traction is how tall the paddles are (and they should be dug down into the sand anyway) unloading the tires isn't such a concern. The harder the tires turn the deeper they dig. They won't "lift" and spin out.

In short, solid struts or completely redesigned suspension for maximum weight savings.

I've been strutting the rear and using shocks up front with 22" rear tires.. It sits level but I've been trying to find a cheap set of lt230 front shocks to make it lower in the front...if u run no wheelie bar u know how violent a front end comes down if the front is struted.. Try different setups and see what works best for YOU.

i really appreciate the info guys...i ran full struts on my 660 raptor when i was sand dragging...bike launched hard...i got a set of 20x11x8 and a set of 22x11x8...both 8-paddle...gonna try the 20's 1st...got a set of 3.5x10 skinnys on the front cause bike likes to stand up upon launch...will let you guys know how things go...wanna try to race at like dixieland...i dont like the pro-tree at slades...does dixieland have a pro-tree ?....you guys on this forum are very informitive...thnx for all the input....