stripped oil plug bolt

nickimus2468

Jul 29, 2013
Smithtown
just wondering if someone can help me out because i ran out of sources to get my stripped oil plug out to change my transmission oil does anyone know how i would get this stripped bolt out so can change my tranny oil?????????X(X(X(X(

Get a bolt remover kit

Vice grip

Grind off 2 sides flat, and make a wrench fit tightly

Any way you do it, you will need a new one

just wondering if someone can help me out because i ran out of sources to get my stripped oil plug out to change my transmission oil does anyone know how i would get this stripped bolt out so can change my tranny oil?????????X(X(X(X(

Is the head of the bolt stripped or the threads?

Autozone makes a set of sockets to remove bolts with stripped out heads. You just hit them on with a hammer and it'll remove the bolt no problem. And they're reusable so if u ever have a problem like this again you'll have the tool to handle it.

I'm dealing with the same issue on a yz 250 I just picked up. I plan on removing it this weekend and replacing it with a bolt similar to this: Magnetic Oil Drain Plug Yamaha Blaster YFS200 YFS 200 ATV | eBay

I haven't had any luck with vice grips, I will do the things already mentioned paired with a heat gun. Last resort it to drill it out use an extractor. Tap it to the next size up if the threads in the cases get trashed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bolt out kit! You can buy it at autozone.

Its a whole kit for removing any stripped bolts trust me it will come in handy more then just this one time. Well worth the investment IMO.

I ended up cutting a slot with a grinder after breaking a few extractors (this has to be done very carefully!) and used an impact screw driver to get it out. Did you have any luck nickimus?