String Trimmer Rebuild

dksix

Apr 16, 2012
North East Tennessee
I have an Echo SRM-2100 trimmer and yesterday while using it I got to thinking it just doesn't have the power it used to. It's well maintained, freshly serviced and properly adjusted but has some use on it. I think I've had it near 10 years and got it used from a friend. With the amount of use I thought I might look into new rings or rings/piston. Found an OEM piston kit on eBay for $30 shipped, I would like to go that route but I'm wondering about the cylinder. I'm finding no over-sized piston or ring part numbers from Echo or OEM suppliers. SO my real question is; does anyone know if these engines are sleeved or plated and about doing a replacement or the piston/rings? Or what would be the SOP for rebuilding one of these small engines. The machine is still plenty capable of doing the work I have to do, so I don't want to tear it down unless the rebuild will be a straight forward piston/ring replacement. If I can find the answers about the cylinder I would just order the parts and tear it down when they came in, thus not having the tool be out of service any. I use it about 1-2 hours a week and trimming is no fun catching up once it get ahead of you. I bought a new mower this year and was considering buying a new trimmer but a good one is pricey at $400-$500. It would be nice to spend $30-$45 to get another 10 years out of this. I did search the net a little but didn't find the answers, hoped someone here would know.

Check the compression if you can. Also check that the muffler isn't choked off with carbon.
If you have muffler off look in cyl to see if it's scored.
Consider contacting Echo and ask if it's plated. Most all those small engines are plated aluminum.

Muffler being chocked off with carbon/oil is usually the problem as stated. Lots of times there is a small screen (spark arrestor thing I guess)that gets clogged easily and you can usually replace or clean It or just remove it.

Last edited:
Usually weed eaters, chainsaws, etc come with a spark arrestor (screen) at the end of the exhaust. I just throw them away. In my experience it takes a couple hundred hours before they get clogged up. Alot of time it will lack power, and or rev slower. I had a chainsaw mess up on me a couple years ago, and asked my small engine shop buddy, and he said I would have to buy a new jug for mine (no boring or oversize), yours maybe different thought. Price of a new jug & piston through dealer was $50 less than the saw was new

Oh and my stihl weedeater just turned 12, and it gets light commercial use, has had alot of abuse and used with a blade, and still going strong (knock on wood).

First, The cylinders are horribly expensive. Found them at around $80, so a complete rebuild would be in the $125 range. But, that wasn't the problem. Found bad bearings in the "case gear". Was putting new line on it and found it hot when I touched it. Looked at the parts diagram, used 6900 and 6200 bearings. I replaced them and used it yesterday, back to pulling like it was new again. Thanks for the post everyone.

Reactions: jus_me
Oh and my stihl weedeater just turned 12, and it gets light commercial use, has had alot of abuse and used with a blade, and still going strong (knock on wood).

Should've actually knocked on wood. Had trouble with my weed eater the past week, checked the compression..... 65psi:( It had a good long run though, gonna part it out on ebay lol, already got me a new one. They are weird now... 4strokes with mixed gas wtf

Reactions: bansheedave
I've replaced gas lines on 2 string trimmers and 2 leaf blowers this year. This gas we have just sucks and hard on these small bore yard machines.

Use Sta-bil gas treatment in every gas powered thing I own , for 89-93 octane . I store gas all winter for generator then use it in the spring for mower and blower , trimmer ect , no problems.
I also only use Stihl 2cycle oil ,no matter what brand 2 cycle I run it in Example... I have a old 2 cycle portable 500 watt 2 cycle Craftsman Generator that 25 years old still runs perfect.

Last edited:
I run all my stuff dry and fog the motors when I'm done with them. I don't leave gas in the tanks. But the fuel lines still deteriorate. Oh well.

I have an Echo SRM-2100 trimmer and yesterday while using it I got to thinking it just doesn't have the power it used to. It's well maintained, freshly serviced and properly adjusted but has some use on it. I think I've had it near 10 years and got it used from a friend. With the amount of use I thought I might look into new rings or rings/piston. Found an OEM piston kit on eBay for $30 shipped, I would like to go that route but I'm wondering about the cylinder. I'm finding no over-sized piston or ring part numbers from Echo or OEM suppliers. SO my real question is; does anyone know if these engines are sleeved or plated and about doing a replacement or the piston/rings? Or what would be the SOP for rebuilding one of these small engines. The machine is still plenty capable of doing the work I have to do, so I don't want to tear it down unless the rebuild will be a straight forward piston/ring replacement. If I can find the answers about the cylinder I would just order the parts and tear it down when they came in, thus not having the tool be out of service any. I use it about 1-2 hours a week and trimming is no fun catching up once it get ahead of you. I bought a new mower this year and was considering buying a new trimmer but a good one is pricey at $400-$500. It would be nice to spend $30-$45 to get another 10 years out of this. I did search the net a little but didn't find the answers, hoped someone here would know.

I have a PB 250 Hand and backpack blower Parts catalog . I had one apart the cylinder,the hand blower was left out in the rain at the lake for a week, rusted cylinder...it is just plated and no piston / parts are available like there is on Stihl products.