stock to keihin question

98blaster+4

Oct 12, 2008
vermont
i just picked up a keihin 30mm pe series carb. i am waiting on a cable to run it but ant to know where to start on the main jet.

in my stock carb i am running a 320 main jet an it runs right about where i like it to.

what would be a place to start with? only engine mods i have are a dyno port boyseen reeds and a uni filter witout airbox lid. now i know to do a plug chops and what not ,but, is there like a conversion chart or something to use when going from a stock carb to a keihin 30 mm without any other mods at the same time? any help would be sweet. and if you dont have a definate answer or a link to somebody who can please dont clog up my thread

Not many people run PE's, but I believe they run the same jets as PWKs and PJs. I have a 28 PWK in my '94 with similar mods. I run a 45 pilot and a 162 main. I'm fairly sure the needle clip is in the #2 position to lean out the mid a bit. Airflow should be similar, at least at WOT. I am at 4100 ft though, so factor that in as necessary.

Yeah, I was surprised that it took jets that big. But as long as it didn't bog I added more. Dropping the needle down was the key for me, cuz it liked the 162 at WOT, but fouled plugs just running around. I'm kinda paranoid about running lean.

hmmm, this is starting to feel like thread-jacking, lol, sorry +4!

Reactions: 98blaster+4
brando, i tried to give you some rep for the last post but it says i gotta spread it around before i can give you more. dont know what that means, but, hey i tried. and i did know that they all used the same jets. but they are like 5 bucks a pop and i didnt want to spend a fortune getting it started

i hear you there bro...i was able to get a kit for really cheap that goes from like 150-something fairly small

Last edited by a moderator:
Don't use anything but true keihin jets.I have had this problem before to find out they were from taiwan.Changed it out to a true keihin and it was a world of difference.I have a full true keihin jet kit here,we will get this thing dialed in.

just was messing around with carb boots and found that the main is a 130. i will try it when i get my rear end straightened out, maybe ill get lucky and not have to mess with it

Don't use anything but true keihin jets.I have had this problem before to find out they were from taiwan.Changed it out to a true keihin and it was a world of difference.I have a full true keihin jet kit here,we will get this thing dialed in.

From the horse's mouth....

Frankly a 130 sounds small. An aftermarket 28PWK comes with a 135. I would guess a 140 at least.

I have an oko 30mm- I have a 158 main- clip on the fourth or second from bottom position, and a 45 pilot. You can see my mods in my sig. You may be good with 140 and a 40 pilot- clip in the middle-or third from bottom to start. JMO-Bob I"m a liitle rich but prefer it that way for now.