Starting the Project back up again

Nov 7, 2008
Hey guys,

Im ready to start my blaster project back up again, and need some advise.

I gave up a while back due to lack of money, and frustration, and life changes (kids), but I have a 2002 blaster. The motor was a fresh rebuild using a oko 30mm carb. Im also using vforce 3 reed valves. I have a custome airbox that i got from project blaster.

I never could get it to run no matter what jets i tried to use. Im pretty determined to get it working this time. and if I cant i now have the means to get it fixed at a shop.

anything i should check on the motor with it sitting for 5 years without being ran? I drained all the gas from the carb before i put it up for the last 5 years.

Most shops are clueless at best, especially if Ben Dover works there. Pull the pipe and inspect the cyl for rust.
Do a leakdown test, don't argue about this.
List all the mods you have and the jets and needle you have in carb. Most of the OKO's were alright when they first came out, but had some issues, later ones were even worse, plus there are knockoffs of the knockoffs..

Did you ever leaktest the original build? Might be why you couldn't get it to run right, air leak.

The compression was good 135psi.
Specs best i can remember are
Bored .2 over wesco pistin
Reed spacerfor clearence reasons
Fmf fatty and salincer
Favtory 7 air box
Jets installed i think were 40 and 45 ill verify that tomorrow
Vforce 3 reeds
I bought my wireing harness cdi and coil all from the same guy who sold me,the motor. Hes a member on here stated that the parts were on the same running bike he pulled the motor from

Below is a like to my old thread of how it was doing back then
http://www.blasterforum.com/threads/new-30mm-oko-geting-it-to-run-thread.36633/page-3#post-462990

i watched all your spark video's lol
the dark night would show it better/but im sure it was more clear in person.
do you have old carb? so you are not guessing about carb?
4 wire or 5 wire stator?

OKO carbs have been known to be pains for jetting. try throwing a stock carb in

I would but I don't have the Stock carb. Does anyone know if the 30mm oko's intake fitting is actually the same size as the 28mm kiehin pwk?

I bought the oko's back then because they were about 100 dollars cheaper than the kiehin 28mm was. I may could swing for one now though as long as the factory 7 air box would fit.

follow the wires coming out of the stator/flywheel cover is there 4 or 5?
it matters because it is supposed to be 4 wires for your year...if it is 5 one of them needs to be grounded to the frame./or summthing i forget hold on

follow the wires coming out of the stator/flywheel cover is there 4 or 5?
it matters because it is supposed to be 4 wires for your year...if it is 5 one of them needs to be grounded to the frame./or summthing i forget hold on

Just went out and checked looks like its a 4 wire.

The stator and voltage regulator is the only parts I have not replaced. This weekend I'll see if i can get my wife video the spark when i kick it. I know in the past it did not have the blue color most people say they are supposed to have but it did spark.

also its a 4 wire stator

Last edited:
most common problems are the stator.
you need oem.
this problem is way out of hand
you only need compression fuel spark and spark at right time to fire it up.
assuming carb is in somewhat near adjusted.
there is a ground wire that is on the voltage regulator but you dont need a voltage regulator to start it.

you got compression soooo either the air fuel ratio is waaay off or the spark and timing.
i would say you got a electrical problem/but with you aftermarket carb who knows.
read electrical threads about disconnect kill and key switches ect..
flywheel magnets might even be bad...
if i had this for 5 years or however you have owned it and not figured it out....it would be a parts BLASTER TO MEo_O

Indeed I did. Voltage regulator has no effect on the ignition system - only lighting. The stator I have has no lighting coil. Only the ignition windings and trigger module. It came off of a running bike.

Again to clarify - you pay shipping, you can try it out. If it works and you wanna keep it, we can work out a price. If not, pay to send it back. Cheap easy test to confirm suspicion

Reactions: speedyslyder
Oh and 4 wire or 5 wire stator makes no difference. If you put the 4 wire stator on an 03+ model you will need to ground the sprare green wire.

I may be interested in this, i was trying to send a PM but I cant figure out where the link to do it is on the site now.

I'm going to give it another compression test this weekend to make sure thats still good, and I think im going to go through the wiring harness and eliminate all the wiring for the tors and the lighting circuit. I don't intend to use a headlight later. And this way i can make sure the remaining wires are good and also that the grounds are good.

Correct me if im wrong, but dont we only need the 5 wires from the CDI to get it running other than the key and switch.

I'll see what jets i currently have installed and see what I can get it to do IM assuming with it sitting as long as it has the jets may need to be cleaned out. but i did dump the gas before storing so the carb should be ok.

I may be interested in this, i was trying to send a PM but I cant figure out where the link to do it is on the site now.

I'm going to give it another compression test this weekend to make sure thats still good, and I think im going to go through the wiring harness and eliminate all the wiring for the tors and the lighting circuit. I don't intend to use a headlight later. And this way i can make sure the remaining wires are good and also that the grounds are good.

Correct me if im wrong, but dont we only need the 5 wires from the CDI to get it running other than the key and switch.

I'll see what jets i currently have installed and see what I can get it to do IM assuming with it sitting as long as it has the jets may need to be cleaned out. but i did dump the gas before storing so the carb should be ok.

everyone on here that says they are going to eliminate wires....comes on here and says MY BLASTER WONT START.
just something to think about....
how much is this blaster worth to you???
i posted lot of solutions/as soo did AWKO8 years ago.....
IMO GET OVER IT HAVE IT FIXED AT A SHOP/OR PART IT OUT AND BUY ONE THAT AT LEAST RUNSo_O
sorry for the harsh analytics:(:( BE GENTLE