spark plug question after plug chop

03Blaster

Aug 19, 2008
little background first. i live and ride between 5300-5500 ft elevation so that will change the jet size and all.

so i bought a new blaster its an 05 with FMF pipe and silencer, and k&n filter that i just recharged with no air box leak. i warmed the bike up took it around the block to make sure it was at operating temp and put a brand new plug in it, then ran it down the street 1st through 5th WOT and checked the plug and it looked like it didn't change colors. i took the carb apart the carb had a 290 jet in it so i put a 270 jet in it and did the plug chop again with same result.

here are pics of the spark plug after the first WOT run with 290 jet and the second pull with the 270 jet.

Attachments

• blaster spark plug.jpg
    blaster spark plug.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 372
  • blaster spark plug1.jpg
    blaster spark plug1.jpg
    90.2 KB · Views: 352
  • blaster spark plug2.jpg
    blaster spark plug2.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 428
so, wheres the plug CHOP pics? thats the ONLY way to see the difference in jetting is to cut the plug to see the subtle changes in the smoke ring at the base of the porcelain.

okay i cut the threads off which is a pain in the ass with a dremel.

Attachments

• plug chop.jpg
    plug chop.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 396
  • plug chop1.jpg
    plug chop1.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 412
just wonderin how long did you hold WOT

You still having problems 89blaster89? I'd say get good and quick at changing those plugs and run it illegal down the road, swap out and get the hell back...that's what I'm having to do these days. Where do you ride? There has to be someplace you can do a full WOT run for a plug chop.

the first and second pic are of the same plug just different angles lol. so that light brown line at the bottom of the porcelain is what i want?

i just made sure i ran it WOT to the very top of 5th gear and right when i let off the gas i cut the motor and coasted back home.

Reactions: blasterbrian
awesome! the only issue is i did one pull from 1st-5th with the 290 jet and one 1st-5th pull with the 270 jet lol

You still having problems 89blaster89? I'd say get good and quick at changing those plugs and run it illegal down the road, swap out and get the hell back...that's what I'm having to do these days. Where do you ride? There has to be someplace you can do a full WOT run for a plug chop.

yep id be done by now but i have no place to plug chop and really dont wanna run it down the road but ill figure somethin out...im thinkin im just gonna keep trying my 4th gear WOT i been also usin the brakes to make it pull harder lol

hell i ran mine down the main street in my neighborhood 3 times today to do my plug chop haha

awesome! the only issue is i did one pull from 1st-5th with the 290 jet and one 1st-5th pull with the 270 jet lol

so do you think i am safe with the 270 jet since i did two pulls with different jets and then cut the plug up?

well thats the thing. i did the 1-5 pull with the 290 jet and 270 jet on the same plug...