software vs buying portmap

KBRott

Dec 29, 2013
I'd like to get a couple opinions from people who have used the software. Recently I locked up the bottom end on the blaster and my daughter has came to me with the interest of starting to drag race using the blaster. So here is my question I've done some minor porting using KOR instructions ( gained good power) and it cane out nice. I have been looking and found two stroke porting and pipe software which looks like an awesome venture to attempt. I am wondering if this is something left to the pros to decode or is it pretty self explanatory?

If you recommend getting the software what one do you recommend?

Do a search for tripple exhaust ports. In one thread a member had some examples of a program he used. Looked interesting.
Nèver used one myself, no clue on cost. Nice thing is it allows you to try different ideas, without grinding.

Do a search for tripple exhaust ports. In one thread a member had some examples of a program he used. Looked interesting.
Nèver used one myself, no clue on cost. Nice thing is it allows you to try different ideas, without grinding.

Thank you for the advice, I'm going to look into that.

The software that I've had experience with is really in-depth and takes a bit of time and inclincation to make it through. Simple mathematics and taking your time and making sense of things will often yield good results. There is a wealth of information to be had online, but the issue is piecing it all together. There is no consolidation point anywhere that I've ever found. I even tried to do just that and caught a gread deal of resistance.

The largest setback is tooling. A right angle piece is going to run in the neighborhood of $450 from CC specialty. They're proven and work very well. After that, a good $100-200 in carbides and another $75-100 in stones and tootsie rolls. You'll need a degree wheel unless your trig is up to spec. You'll be in about $1k worth of tools jsut to do the porting.

Then you need to figure out the things that the porting software doesn't tell you, which is a lot. Exhaust shape, intake geometry, transfer geometry (which is where the horsepower hides), and all sorts of other things.

Since I've stopped porting, I will give you a few of my numbers for a Banshee (which isn't too far off from a Blaster when it comes to porting).

Trail:

Midrange:

Drag:
198-206 (depending on compression)
132-136
130-134
130-134

Those numbers have worked well for me. They didn't topple K&T, but they did pull.

Doing exhaust triples can be very demotivational if you're not up for it. It takes tons of patience. I'd skip on Boyesen ports until you're confident that the port is good. Boyesens will cause you to fixate on things other than port shaping and there have been several hard-running engines that had nearly stock intakes.

Reactions: OConnor Racing
PM me for my number if you have any questions. I'm also on facebook on the Blaster and Banshee pages (which is probably the best way to get ahold of me). PM me for that info as well. That goes for anyone that comes here searching for answers. I may not know everything you ask, but I can help you get the ball rolling.

PM me for my number if you have any questions. I'm also on facebook on the Blaster and Banshee pages (which is probably the best way to get ahold of me). PM me for that info as well. That goes for anyone that comes here searching for answers. I may not know everything you ask, but I can help you get the ball rolling.

Thank you for the numbers on porting. Ha ha as sad as it is I can't figure out how to send a p.m . I don't want to do any work for anyone other than myself and kids, my 4 and 8 year Olds also want to get involved in racing. That reason alone I believe the tools and knowledge will pay off in spades lol

Reactions: Awk08
Thank you for the info, I was a little bit hesitant to follow macdizzy because I heard a couple of not so great comments on his porting. I've read info on some of his other stuff and always been happy

Just wanted to throw you a bone in the information direction.
It was/is older info, but still info to get you started and know the names of some of the software.
CC Specialties has everything you'll need
Here's the link...

http://www.ccspecialtytool.com/

Thank you for the numbers on porting. Ha ha as sad as it is I can't figure out how to send a p.m . I don't want to do any work for anyone other than myself and kids, my 4 and 8 year Olds also want to get involved in racing. That reason alone I believe the tools and knowledge will pay off in spades lol

Porting is one of those things where buying the tooling to DIY will not save you money. The only time I'd recommend anyone get into porting is for the sake of learning to port. By the time you have everything needed to successfully port a cylinder without having to improvise, you can be 2/3 of the way to a ported 240 stroker.

To send a PM, cick on the person's name and then "start a conversation."

Last edited:
MacDizzy was the sh*t back in the day. These days, porting is much more advanced.

His information may not be correct, but it will inform you of the considerations that need to be taken into account.

Reactions: KBRott
MacDizzy was the sh*t back in the day. These days, porting is much more advanced.

His information may not be correct, but it will inform you of the considerations that need to be taken into account.

I appreciate it. I'm going to start to do some more research on this. I like being as hands on as possible, you know that self accomplishment feeling of doing it and it coming out successful.

I say start doing your own cylinder work too! I do, and it saves a ton of money.
I would also suggest investing in a quality dial bore gauge to measure taper and out of round of a cylinder, and a quality 3 lobe internal micrometer.
After you get these items, pick up a positive pressure rigid hone with assorted stones.
No more going to the machine shop.
No more waiting.
A fresh new cylinder bore for the cost of a piston... done at home on YOUR time.

Reactions: KBRott
I say start doing your own cylinder work too! I do, and it saves a ton of money.
I would also suggest investing in a quality dial bore gauge to measure taper and out of round of a cylinder, and a quality 3 lobe internal micrometer.
After you get these items, pick up a positive pressure rigid hone with assorted stones.
No more going to the machine shop.
No more waiting.
A fresh new cylinder bore for the cost of a piston... done at home on YOUR time.

That's my goal. I've got a lot of shop tools but definitely need to invest in a lot more.
I was looking at this software called bimotion?!?! I think. It looked pretty good from my ability to tell. It did ports and exhaust pipe configuration

That's my goal. I've got a lot of shop tools but definitely need to invest in a lot more.
I was looking at this software called bimotion?!?! I think. It looked pretty good from my ability to tell. It did ports and exhaust pipe configuration
How much?

It may be old school, but check out Gorden Jennings and H. Grahm Bell. Jennings book is online in PDF, unknown about Bell.

Bell is a good book to learn by, but I feel that Jennings had a bit more practical info. Bell's book can be found on Amazon for a pretty decent price. There a few more books with some very arcane information, but good luck finding them in digital or analog formats. I tried for nearly 3 years and gave up. I don't even remember what they were called. Camatv on BHQ knows what they are and is/was searching as well. A bit of searching will come up with the names.

OP, I support anyone wanting to do everything themselves and will quickly provide all the knowledge that I have, but please be informed that it takes more time and money than most people are up for. I've found it easier to work overtime and pay for it to be done, but that's just my situation.

Lastly, my primary motivation is that I want something that will outright fly in every situation and I know that I am not most cut out for doing it as well as I want. Had I built my last engine, I'm certain that it wouldn't have made the numbers that it made over the RPM range like it did. For me, the overwhelming amount of acceleration is more satisfying than saying I did it myself. Some people jump to that way of thinking after the frustration of DIY builds up.