Short brake pad life on OEM hydro rear?

doc_speeder

Feb 14, 2009
Lethbridge AB
So on my '06, I got about 5 rides on my new EBC brake pads on the rear before they were worn to nothing. Brake disc is in good shape. Lots of mud riding though. One side wore before the other. Is this likely a sticky caliper or just the way it is? On a side note, by buddy's '97 ' Shee did the same thing.

Your disk could be in rougher shape than it looks. Also if one side is wearing out faster there is something messed up, or out of alignment, does the brakes seem weak, and which side is wearing out first?

The "outside" pad wears first. (Closer to the right wheel). The rotor is smooth. The brakes work fantastic, very strong. They don't drag when off the pedal. I'll take off the caliper and make sure it's not seized, but it seems fine.

Usually if one side wears faster than the other the caliper is not retracting back correctly and causes drag.I run the cheapest pads I can find and have not had a single problem on any of my bikes.Something is up.Could be a loose axle,something.Try and dig deep and figure it out cause it shouldn't happen that quickly.

I'm not really familar with the rear brakes on a blasty seeing as how mine doesn't have any right now. But either something is out of alignment causeing, or if it has a piston on each side(which I doubt) then it is not retracting all the way and it riding against the disk all of the time. Have you lifted the rear wheels of the ground and tried spining the tires by hand, there should be very little drag, if there is a bunch then it could be the pad dragging the rotor.

Tho slim of a possibilty pads shearing off does happen, Had that happen on a disk pad on the front of a car I had. The pad came clean off the metal plate. I heard a pop sound then the next time I braked metal screaching. Was pissed cause I just replaced them a few weeks earlier.

I think its just mucked up caliper adjusters , the slides get gummed up and they hang so the outerpad always has some tension on it and causes that problem

I have had no problems with mine. If I had to guess I would say you just need to clean caliper. One piece of sand can cause a caliper to not work right. My 2 cents

This might be off topic a little but I thought the grooves or holes in rotors was to relieve gas pressure and give junk a place to go. Flat rotor & flat pads dont let debris get removed. Maybe drill some holes in your rotor or buy one already with them if you do alot of mud riding. I'v seen EBC pads with grooves in them for debris removal, maybe check them out on e bay.

Noo vented rotors improve braking but get stuff stuck in em and tear your pads up. If you look at quads in your local xc races they run non vented, because especially in mud because vented tear up pads

I disagree. When you drill or cut holes in a rotor you have taken away surface area. The pad touching a hole does nothing. Holes in rotors are to let gases and debris that build up between rotor and pad a place to go. These gases and debris will keep a pad from grabbing the rotor. Grooves and holes can let you use the brakes longer without fade because of the release of this stuff but the work they are doing is less.