Shock rebuilding at home (special tools NOT required)

brandoz28

Sep 24, 2009
Iowa
This isn't a complete DIY as this has been covered before on here by phragle and these shocks are really rough and possibly gonna hit the garbage. Another thing to note is for this cleanliness is next to godliness. you are also going to want to buy stock in paper towels and brake cleaner. these things need to be perfectly clean before you disassmble them. then you're going to spend a lot of time getting ALL the old stuff out.

here's what we're starting out with, your standard Works (showa) triple rate with remote rezzie. as you can see, these things are real real rough.

DSCN3695.jpg

first thing's first, and be careful with this, but you need to release the nitrogen from the shocks. point the shrader valve for the nitrogen into a bucket or drain pan and push the center. once the nitrogen has been released, we can disassemble the shock.

this can be tricky, on these particular shocks i was able to compress the springs on my own and then pulled the bottom cap off of it. then pulled all of the springs off, now on multiple rate springs you need to pay attention to EVERYTHING that comes off. they have "crossover rings". when the small springs compress, they close up the gap before the spring goes into bind and breaks. this is where we're at now.

DSCN3698.jpg

this is where a vice becomes really useful, its next to impossible to do this without one.

Put the shock in the vice, clamp where the shock mounts NOT THE BODY.

DSCN3699.jpg

Now for the part that's a little tricky. how do you get that seal head out without blowing 40 bucks on the special tool? a pipe wrench will tear it up in a hurry if its applied straight to it.

the answer.

get a piece of 2 inch galvanized pipe. then drill and tap a hole for a 1/4 inch bolt. how pretty you make it is up to you, here's what I came up with.

DSCN3700.jpg

the bolt goes into the hole you can see here

DSCN3701.jpg

and you put them together for this

DSCN3710.jpg

now you can use your pipe wrench on this without worrying about scarring up that seal head.

here is what will come out of there.

DSCN3711.jpg

Now let's move on to the shock rezzie

here's a picture of the top of it, use a small hammer and a screwdriver or something similar to tap the inner part down a little bit to reveal the snap ring, then remove the snap ring. in this pic i've already gotten it beaten down and the snap ring out, you can see the groove it rides in. once you remove that, grab the hex part around the shrader valve and pull the bladder out. this can be pretty stiff, just take your time as you're pulling it up and out.

DSCN3713-Copy.jpg

here's what will come up out of there, here you can see the really nasty shock oil that was in there. this stuff smelled horrible and was broken down past any point of being recognizable
DSCN3727.jpg

and a picture of the stuff still in there
DSCN3728.jpg

Now to where all of the voodoo and black magic is in these. the piston. you MUST get in there and clean this out.

put the shaft/piston assembly in the vice like this
DSCN3718.jpg

take the nut off of the top to release the piston, here it is on its own. pay attention to where the raised dot is, as it will index there
DSCN3719.jpg

its very important this goes back together EXACTLY as it came apart. all that of this assembly are springs, check balls, and shims, also known as rebound flappers.

some of it blown apart
DSCN3720.jpg

differences in springs,
DSCN3724.jpg

and here's why you have to pull these apart this far, with those shims/flappers on you couldn't see all of this skankiness on the piston
DSCN3725.jpg

This is also where you will pull the seal head off of the shock, remove the old seal (a 5/8's wrench works well for that) and a pick for the inner O-ring. i used my vice to press the new seals into the heads. there is also an o ring inside, and outside that you will want to replace.

while the seal head is off inspect the shaft of the shock, if that are any nicks, scratches, or marring of any type they will cause the shock to leak. if it can be cleaned up with "red" scotchbrite pads then its usually ok.

Now after a thorough thorough cleaning you can reassemble the shocks. First of all is filling with oil, I'm going to be using amsoil ATF. its readily available for me, and can be used. in fact that's what the Honda manuals call for when servicing their rear shocks as a substitute for the factory shock oils. you need to get the rezzie and the body up to the same level and start by filling the reservoir. fill the rezzie around 1/3 of the way. then insert your freshly cleaned bladder. the oil should come up past the o ring right as you get it into position. this helps to insure there are no air pockets. install your c-clip, and grab on to the rezzie with your vice grips as you did before and pull it out to seat it against the clip.

DSCN3717-Copy.jpg

Now that you've assembled the reservoir, just let it hang, this will allow any air to go up through the line and into the shock body.

DSCN3726.jpg

make yourself a dipstick to measure the oil. it needs to measure down 1/2 inch into the body.

Fill the shock body up to within an inch of the top. then insert the piston and shaft assembly. put it in slowly, and then work it up and down a few times to make sure that any air has been allowed to escape. pull the piston up and use your dipstick to measure the oil level/piston height. they should be at the same height when you pull it up, if the oil seeps down into the piston when pulled up to the top, then add a little more oil.

once the oil level is correct, hold the piston in place and slide the seal head down and take it down until the o ring makes contact. then use your tool that you made earlier to snug it back down, this doesn't need to be he-man tight, just snug.

now reassemble the springs onto the shocks, and go have the shocks charged with nitrogen. most any powersports dealer or shop should have a filling apparatus. all in all assuming that everything is ok inside your shocks, and you just replace the seals, o rings, oil, and gas, it'll only cost you around 80 bucks. this is what works gets to JUST do new oil and nitrogen. not replace the seals or anything like that.

hope this gives some of you guys the confidence to freshen up your shocks yourselves.

max reps for that bro !!!!!
awsome pics and info
and i see 2 cranks doin it doggy in that first pic, hahaaaa

thanks guys, a lot of these techniques can be applied to other rebuildable shocks, such as the 400ex, 250r, and 450r shocks. most people can do this stuff with a little bit of patience and some time.