Shims, Spacers and washers

chuck_neste

Jun 15, 2007
Hello All,

When rebuilding an engine, Where are the most crucial shims spacers and washers located?.Not that all of thsee are not important but which ones may be critical.

Thanks
Chuck

I have bought 2 basket cases that have been put back poorly. I will look at a parts diagram to try to fill in the blanks. Can someone tell me how many shims /washers there are in the engine? I have questions about the following

What is number 13 and 14 on the Clutch Diagram. Can someone describe to me or have pics of Item 13? I have a bowl full of extra hardware

13 SKU: 90208-18046-00 WASHER, CONICAL SPRING???
14. I have a washer with the thickness of a nickel that fits over the shaft tightly and another washer that is the thickness of a dime and a nikel together. Which one do I use

http://www.extremesportsyamaha.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/default.aspx

Thanks
Chuck

Last edited:
I just ordered them as new. I may have them but cant identify them. Its hard to put humpty dumpty back together again if you never seen him whole :)
Chuck

Hello,

There are 2 washers in front and back of the idle kick gear. They can be seen on page 4-35 listed under kick idle. These are not listed in the parts manual.

allot of times if im working on an engine that i didnt take apart..like my neighbor had an old yamaha i was rebuilding for him, i went to "yamahapartshouse.com" and looked at the parts fische..when i was working onthe clutch to this bike there was three washers that went to the clutch assembly, two behind and one in front of the basket, because i didnt take this engine apart i didnt know wich one went where, they were all different thicknesses..sooo....i went to the diagram and price listings...RULE OF THUMB ...the more expensive washer/shim will be the thicker one..it helped me out by looking at the prices of the shims and the parts blown up diagram to get the right order in which it was suppose to be assembled..
not sure if that helped at all but thats what i went through a time ago on a "strange" engine,,..good luck man...

hello All,

This is bad info.(BELOW) The conical spring washer is paper thin

13 SKU: 90208-18046-00 WASHER, CONICAL SPRING???

Hello All,

Is there a paper thin shim for the small primary drive gear that connects to the clutch side crank shaft. This is the gear that engages the clutch basket and is double stacked with another gear w/ straight key

go to bike bandit online to look up on microfiche it might help you. It helped me alot when i had any problems to look up how stock was assembled.

I just ordered them as new. I may have them but cant identify them. Its hard to put humpty dumpty back together again if you never seen him whole :)
Chuck
There is a post on this forum called clutch issues that explains pretty well what is going on. It has to do with the thickness of the plate washer under the basket between the basket and the conical spring washer.