Shifting issue... CONFUSED!! Replace tranny?

neb_16

May 22, 2012
Hey guys,
First of all, I am new to the forum as well as to blasters, so bear with me here! I picked up a 94 blaster for 400 bucks a couple days back. They guy I got it from said it ran fine (started it up, ran well, good compression, etc), but hasn't been shifting right. I have done bottom end work on crf450s, so I figured i'd have a go at it. I opened it up, and can't seem to find anything wrong, however! The shift forks do not appear to be bent, and all of the gears seem to be in tact and move as they should. What's even more interesting... When I take the shifter bar out and rotate the shifter cam manually, the the tranny shifts through all of the gears smooth as silk. The second I install the stopper, shifter bar, etc and attempt to shift it that way, it runs into issues. It is almost like something is not meshing exactly right, but i cannot figure out what the problem.
Instead of fooling around buying OEM parts which may or may not fix the problem (I still don't know the root problem), I was considering buying an entire bottom end. I came across one on Ebay for $100, but it has a siezed crank (bearings). The guy said it shifts through all of the gears fine though, and the siezed crank was due to quad running out of injector oil.
So after all this... My question is... Would the siezed crank have also damaged the shifting mechanism/transmission? My first guess would be no, especially if he said it shifts fine... What if I bought this bottom end and swapped the transmission components? Again, my concern in doing this is that the lack of injector oil causing the crank to sieze could have also damaged the tranny. However, i am not sure if/how that could happen. Do any of you guys have any advice?
Thanks in advance!
Nathan

Dude just last week I was missing 4th 5th and 6th gear and to find out tht my drain plug was too long and was meshing with the gears

I can see no reason why the tranny should be bad from a crank sieze, it certainly would not affect the shifting mechanism.

That eBay bottom end should be fine trans wise. There's a link for the Blaster service manual in my sig that may help you out.

When we bought my blaster it was missing 3rd 4th 5th and 6th gears and there was just a broken spring (not 100% sure where it was though) but i think it was in the clutch basket