Shift star mod, pics..

So then the pointy one with a inverted radius at the bottom must be neutral? used to get hung in between gears, i see six points, six valleys, six gears, but wait theres seven "gears" with neutral 1N23456
"1234567"

Wonder if you knock one of the sides off of the one at the bottom if it would make neutral easier.

Maybe instead of rounding them off like there worn out if you "shark finned" them in eather direction, made it look like a skill saw blade?,,, maybe it would help shift and keep it from getting a false neutral between fifth and sixth:-[

O well

The six valleys are the six gears and the point with the inverted radius is neutral... And to get a false neutral between 5 and 6 you would have to get hung up on the point between them? I think?????

i rode a built shee with a modded star and hated it. kelpt shifting up and down without even knowing it (seemed sloppy), also i couldnt count the gears as easy thru trails. i like a nice sturdy pop into my gears

I was wondering if that would be a problem if you grind a lot off of the point....

how far apart do you have to take it to change the shift star?

You have to remove the right foot peg and the kick start lever so you can take off the right case cover, then remove the clutch basket, and then the shift pedal from the left side so you can pull the shift shaft out from the right side and then remove the stopper lever, and now you can see the shift star. The older blasters shift stars are bolted to the shift drum and will come off, but the newer ones are welded on....

The shift star in the pics is in neutral because the wheel on the stopper lever is in the inverted radius of the point of the star.. Can you see it under the clutch and stuff?
008-7.jpg

The thing on the left of the star that goes over top of it is part of the shift shaft and you have to remove the shift pedal from the left side so you pull it out,
011-2.jpg

The stopper lever is just bolted on but there is a spring so be careful!!!
019-3.jpg

I was wondering if that would be a problem if you grind a lot off of the point....

i take a good bit more off them than the one you pictured and have never had a problem. i believe if it was this bad there had to be another problem unless it was cut down almost smooth.

Now woa hold on a minute, im not saying theres only one right way,just saying thats not the ONLY right way.

a dragstrip bike needs easy upshifts no neutral and a trail bike needs easy to find neutral, (for when you have to "dismount and water the lemon tree") and a Mx cross needs easy up and down shift with no neutral, theres a clutch....

See the star and theres a wheel against it and that wheels on a lever under the flange head bolt,and the lever has a spring wrapped around it,,,
011-2.jpg

Ive also heard you can cut a notch into the lever where the spring rides on it to ease off some of the spring tension for easy shifting.

I have a modded shift star for sale.

I have a cylinder ready to be bored 120 over and 60 over piston for sale

lol what does this have to do with a shift star???lol :D:D
NEVERMIND

I agree 100% That is very conservative and you need/can take more off.For the ones who can't find neutral it is not done correctly.Use whatever you have for a measuring tool and keep them all as close to the same height as each other and you should have no problems.Just don't go to low.Grerat pics bronco,this will help some members out for sure.

Now woa hold on a minute, im not saying theres only one right way,just saying thats not the ONLY right way.

a dragstrip bike needs easy upshifts no neutral and a trail bike needs easy to find neutral, (for when you have to "dismount and water the lemon tree") and a Mx cross needs easy up and down shift with no neutral, theres a clutch....

See the star and theres a wheel against it and that wheels on a lever under the flange head bolt,and the lever has a spring wrapped around it,,,
011-2.jpg

Ive also heard you can cut a notch into the lever where the spring rides on it to ease off some of the spring tension for easy shifting.

NEVERMIND

Not sure what you are trying to say here but a dragger should run an override or cut tranny with a shift star mod.You still need neautral in a drag bike in order to roll it around etc Even with an override etc it still has neautral.

I took the shift star back to the belt sander and sanded the points down till it had about a 1/8" wide flat end and then rounded it off, and now i have about 1/8" from the point of the star to the pegs sticking out.... I also cant find the ft.lb of torque for the bolt that holds the star on... But i'm guessing it's about 4.3 ft.lb because its a 5mm bolt... I was also thinking of using some Thread lock on it...

star.jpg

nice!!! i use red loctite on stuff like that in mine. you will notice that for sure. way better IMO