Satellite opinions

timsyfz

avoiding the DNR Nazi !
Mar 26, 2008
Mid Michigan
Hey guys I want some input here. We have Dish Network have had them for about 6-7 years, and Are considering switching to Directtv so we can combine their wireless internet, DVR, and multiple recievers (Dish only allows 4, and we need 5 or 6 if I put one in the garage).

Now I can get DVR with Dish, but they do not offer a stable wireless internet in my area, and they do not offer VS. channel (my favorite).

Any thoughts from anyone who has had both as a comparison or opinion from either side would be good...

I have had Direct TV before. Where we lived they had to put the satelite where the signal came through a hole about 1 foot in diameter. Any time the wind blew we lost signal. Other than that it was good. I have cable now and wouldn't go back to satelite.

I have lived in a few places where that was the only option. I liked Direct TV better than Dish. We had dish when I lived at home and would lose signal when storms came through where as with Direct TV we wouldn't as long as the wind wasn't blowing to bad.

They both have there ups and downs but I've never had anything but Dish. It really doesn't matter which ever one you have storms and other weather related things are going to affect it. Put some Rain X on your dish and it will help out some. I would highly recomend staying away from any internet from either DTV or dish network and hughs net. IT SUCKS!!!!!!!!

we have directv and i love all the channels we have. we havent had problems with it but if it gets stormy outside, we lose the signal. plus its expensive but its worth it.

i usedto be a dish network installer BUT i have always had cable, but my mom has dish... sat internets are slow and way over priced,

true dish you can only have 4 recivers BUT you can run 8 tv's off them, you need 4 dual tuners.. like 4 322s or 622s or 722s.. depending on what you want 322s are 2 tv sd boxes 622 and 722s are hd BUT only the tv1 on the 622/722 will be in hd,

to run them they need to install a dish pro plus 44 switch which they may or may not charge you for BUT if you need that many tvs you can swing it... i think there like 200 for the switch if they charge you..

as for signal.. if you have a clear line of site.. no trees in the way, and the installer knows what he is doing 9 outta 10 times you will hardly have any problems, i can and have gotten signal strenghts threw the roof!!! dish likes to see 80-90 for signals and iv gotten well into the 100s for strneghts!!
what that does is.. it takes alot more wind to loose signal, iv had customers report that they havent lost signal tell 45+ mph winds

we have direct at my girls and i dont like it, i dont get versus, speed or the outdoor channel, gonna call them soon and see if i can add them if not im going dish

iv got dish had for 5-6 years we have everything channel even vs. but dont have hbo on mine and had direct tv after 3 months we gave up with it.. im surrounded by hills on 3 sides with huge trees no site through them and the dish has to go threw one of the sides and it takes alot to knock out our signal.. last time our signal was knocked out was when my friend backed into the pole that held the dish haha.. we will never go back to direct tv it just sucks to much

My parents had Dish, switched to Direct for a year, and then went back to Dish. Direct constantly lied to them and their bill was NEVER the price it was supposed to be. They got rid of it as soon as the one year was up. Other than that the reception and channels were good if I remember correctly.

dish is the sh!t i hate direct because the channels are in no particular order and you have to go through all the ppv stuff to get to what you wanna see and to me dish has better picture. and i have wildblue internet and it does suck ass compared to cable and dsl. its only realy good for this but im since i can get dsl way out here now im switchin its only $20.00/month as opposed to almost 60

I think I will stick with Dish... Thanks for the input...

I just have to upgrade to DVR I guess... I didnt know I could get more than 2 recievers ! ! That changes everything.

tim.. if you have any other questions just him me up,

i can help you out the best i can with out working for them any more, i can also trouble shoot problems with you threw pm or over the phone.

If you want VS you better stay with dish. Directv does offer it anymore because of a contract situation with VS parent company