running issue

fishheadz

Jan 31, 2015
Hi guys New here I have a 2000 yamaha blaster I bought a few weeks ago set up is stock carb 330 main and stock idle jet, toomey b1 stock air box no lid, compression checked at 119psi it was running great then the other day I tried to start it and it was back firing out the exhaust it fired up ran good at 1/2 and up throttle but wouldn't run at low end splitters bogs backfires then stalls, It has spark and I pulled the carb and both jets where clear so I thought maybe the flywheel key sheared pulled that the key was fine but I found a white wire going to the stator broken could that be it?. any idea what the problem could be im pulling my hair out lol

Look in on your reeds, hard starting and backfiring is usually caused by bad reeds or a sheered woodruff key.

You check the key, so pull the carb and take a peek at the reeds. Look for chips, cracks, petals missing, layin flat, etc.

Well the reeds appear to be in pretty good shape no damage I can see look pretty straight. It is a plain white wire the white and red is still intact all the stator wires are pretty brittle though I found a few cracks in the casing, ill have to trace the white one to see where it goes

Had 5 but the white was dead ended taped off it has a white/red, black/red, yellow/red and a black

Had 5 but the white was dead ended taped off it has a white/red, black/red, yellow/red and a black

4 wire stators have those 4 colors.
03+ 5 wire stators have an extra green wire, (not white)
and when used with a 88-02 4 wire harness, the extra green must be grounded to the frame.

Hmm alright well I think I will order a new stator with the wiring and start there any recommendations or are they all simalar

Hmm alright well I think I will order a new stator with the wiring and start there any recommendations or are they all simalar

look for a good used OEM stator required for your year or matches the # of wires in your wiring harness (can't count out previous owners swapping harnesses/stators)
88-02 = 4 wire
03-06 = 5 wire

too many reports of bad aftermarket stators, even right out of the box,
OEM are best.

i just saw some on ebay for like 64 bucks OEM
AND I WILL ADD THIS GARBAGE LOL..

ricky stator grrrrr 1.jpg

Well I threw the compression tester on it again just too check my reading and now its reading 70 pounds so I guess I hurt something in there

If you are going to pull it apart, leak test it first to see if the problem was caused by an air leak.

It is a wonder that someone did not advise you to test for air leaks, as any new to you, used 2 strokes should be tested before riding.

Dang to late haha i just pulled it apart both rings are broke at the exhaust port one good scar in the cylinder above the port nothing below so I guess it went out the exhaust? I hope. I guess I will be calling KOR tomorrow. Question though, how much play should be on the rod bearing at the crank it has about a 1/16th of a inch side to side

side to side a little bit.

up n down zero.

but looks like you are going to half to split the cases to ensure there is nothing down there,ect.

you are looking at a full rebuild/inspection or it will cost you more in the long run.

Would I send them every thing or should I split it and inspect it myself

if i was having as much trouble as you.
i would think it would pay to send whole engine to kor??
if you want the stress and some experience doing it yourself go for it:)
if you want a fresh airtight/long lasting engine.....send it to keno_O
if you skip 1 step or make an error..your money is going down the drain lol
either way you gots to pay to play:)

yeah haha I guess I will call and talk to him and see what he thinks I'm no stranger to wrenching but I am new to 2 strokes so I'd rather play it safe I think

Would I send them every thing or should I split it and inspect it myself

thats a tough decision that I've made both ways......

1. you try to save a few bucks and hope you didn't miss anything and wipe out a brand new top end (been there)

2. you let Ken do it all with all new parts and know you have the best built, most reliable engine $ can buy,
and smiles for miles ! (both my current engines are heading into seasons 3-4 with no signs of stopping)

Reactions: speedyslyder