RUNAWAY THROTTLE!!

faster blaster

Mar 1, 2009
Well I just recently bought a beatup 2000 Blaster and I rebuilt the whole thing over. It has one last problem I have yet to fix and it gave me a scare the other day. It fired up fine, idled for about 2 minutes, and then out of no where shot up in RPM's like an SOB! It's not even broke in yet and I thought it was going to blow! The throttle is in the correct way in the carb and the idle screw is fine, tors is eleminated. the only thing i can think of is I either have an air leak somewhere or my control box is bad. i checked the cdi, it's fine, but the control seems ok yet it wont read right when tested. ANY IDEAS? :">

tors is disconnected, but . . . . .

yes the tors is discontected, but im not 100% it is done correctly. i got the how too off a different website berfore i dicovered this one. i believe it is done correctly. but if yours did that too, then maybe i will check it out again. couldn't hurt. it could be an air leak, but im somewhat skeptical, seeing as how it did idle fine for over 2 consecutive minutes before taking off like that. im confused, lol:(

I have to agree, your getting extra air somewhere. I had mine do that one time and it was a port on the side of the carb (un-used I think it was for oil injection but not sure) that I had decided to plug to keep dirt from getting in. When I plugged it, it over revved when I pulled the plug off it didnt do it again. I dont know if that is what caused it but you may want to look into it

if in an air leak from the carb mix some water with a little soap and spray the outside of the carb and it will bubble up and that where ur leak is or it might be the throttle cable move the cable up and down if the idle changes thats ur problem

i will have to check that, my hoses were capped off since oil injection was removed. but it doesn't make sense to do the water/soap test since the carb sucks in and doesn't blow out. i don't want water & soap in the carb, don't believe it's very combustible. i wish it where, we wouldn't be dealing this middle east bullshit as much, lol :-D

A quick way to tell if you have an air leak somewhere is while its running take a can of brake or carb clean and spray it around the carb and reed plate or any other place where there could be an air leak. While spraying listen to the engine for any sudden change in sound or tune i.e. bogging out sound, and also since carb and brake clean are just bit more combustible then soap and water no damage will be done to the engine.