run power generator for a month straight?

ilm121209

Jan 28, 2014
phila pa
Going up to my buddy's cabin for a few weeks, storm took out the power lines and still aren't fixed. Is it safe to run a power generator for 3-4 weeks straight? I have a craftsman... something, don't know the model off hand. only need it to run a mini fridge, some lights, a tv, xbox, little things. Maybe 1/2 the rated output. Will it get damaged if i run it that long or should that be okay?

Depends on the condition of it. I would do fresh oil, air filter, plug and fuel filter. If it's been sitting, I would pull the cylinder head tins to make sure it's clean and clear. I've seen junk build up and also mice nests under many cylinder head tins. Really limits the cooling. Make sure it sits OUTSIDE with good air flow around it. Make sure you have some spare oil and plugs .

I have a small generator and have run it for extended periods of time. Never as long as a month but at least a weak and half, although I would give it a break every now and again (a few hours), I would change the oil daily. It only took about a half quart so its expense was well worth having fresh oil in it. I wouldn't see a problem with it as long as you change oil and like stated above, clean air filter, new plug, good fresh gas, no obstructions in keeping it cool, maybe pull the carb quick and make sure the bowl is clean.

I few years back, we lost power for 7 days. I ran my furnace, fridge, and a few lights the entire time off my old Kubota generator.

I changed the oil every other day, and would clean the air filter, etc. Believe me, the oil was dirty when it was changed, and usually the air filter too. It was a pain looking after that thing, filling it with gas all the time, but staying warm and keeping my house from falling apart was worth it.

i believe they are rated for hours of use?
some higher then others.
if you stop n start it let it cool then i dont see how you can exceed the run time?:)

During the Quebec Ice Storm many years ago the cellphone transmitter sites ran standard small Briggs powered 4000w-6000w generators for a couple weeks only stopping for fuel refill and checking oil. At that time, no oil changes were done. One problem was they only had about 8hrs fuel capacity so required 3 refueling shifts. Since (and because of) then they have switched to diesel generators with 200 gal tanks.

To run the things you suggest, I could foresee it only running 4-6hrs a day. Cool the fridge while you watch TV and use the lights. Turn it off when you go to bed. Fire it up again when you cook your morning eggs and again at noon. The fridge will stay cool in between.

Steve

Reactions: speedyslyder
Ummm, maybe a dumb question, but why do you need the fridge? Wouldn't outside work pretty good lol.Maybe too good. Like said^^^ just run it when absolutely needed, isn't the reason for going to a cabin to get away from civilized life? I've got a coleman powermate 5000 I've been running at the job (on days above freezing) for over a month now. Its prob gettin 20-30 hours a week. So far I've cleaned the air filter once (and we're cutting rock near it) and topped the oil off (prob shoulda changed it) and its been doing fine. We're not really putting any load on it tho, at max maybe 2000 watts