rtv silicone question???

giantvt104

Jan 6, 2012
deer park, ny
so recentley i had to tear down my top end to inspect it and when i put it all back together i got brand new oem cylinder, head and intake/ reed gaskets. when i was putting it all back together i had some rtv form a gasket sitting there so i decided that it might a good idea to apply a thin coat to the cylinder and intake gasket to make sure they seal nice. didnt put any on the head gasket cause its a crush style and didnt want to mess with it. now when i read through the forum i find alot of mixed opinions on whether or not its a good or BAD thing? so i am just wondering if im safe leaving it or should i go and buy another set of gaskets and do it all again? also how do you all torque your 4 cylinder bolts to 18ft/ lbs with no clearance between the nut and bottom of the cooling fins? I just dont want to blow up anything before its time. thanks guys.

This is what i used:
http://www.permatex.com/products/Au..._Oil_Resistance_RTV_Silicone_Gasket_Maker.htm

i was just reading the tds sheet pdf file that they have on their website and at the very bottom it says:
"The product retains effective properties in contact with
automotive fluids, such as motor oil, transmission fluids,
alcohol and antifreeze solutions. Note: Not recommended for
parts in contact with gasoline."
oh man. this just gets better and better i really have to start doing more research before i act on things......
i should have that tool too. this s**ks i just ordered a bunch of tools from RM and didnt see that. hmmm gonna have to get it.

So am i scr*wed???

I doubt it will hurt but i never use rtv on any two stroke stuff i do however use permatex copper spray a gasket adhesive for insurance and its never let me down.

yeah wasnt a good idea but thats reassuring thanks. i will just keep an eye on leakdowns, compression, and chops. do you think the rtv that i put on the intake gasket might break down and gum up things like my reeds etc?

Last edited:
That depends if you got a big wad of it probably but if you put a thin bead or a light smear on the gasket doubtful.

I use hondabond on the intake gaskets and copper gasket adhesive on base gaskets and head gaskets unless theyre multi layer steels.

Reactions: giantvt104
i think i got the top and bottom of the gasket with a very light but even coat over the whole surface.

ive heard of copper gasket adhesive and always hear good things and diffirent uses. gonna have to check it out. its not gasoline unstable?

thats for the help i really appreciate it.

i think i got the top and bottom of the gasket with a very light but even coat over the whole surface.

ive heard of copper gasket adhesive and always hear good things and diffirent uses. gonna have to check it out. its not gasoline unstable?

thats for the help i really appreciate it.

Here you go bro http://www.permatex.com/products/au...r_Spray-A-Gasket_Hi-Temp_Adhesive_Sealant.htm

Read for yourself.I use it on all kinds of stuff from lawn mowers to forced induction and nitrous motors.Its currently in my banshee and blaster with no issues.

Id highly recommend it if you want added insurance i let and engine sit over night after assembly so its dry and then its good to go.Ive even used it on green paper gaskets and theyve held up.

If you didnt half ass it and just blog the stuff on i doubt you will have any issues.I wouldnt use it any more.Use the copper stuff or honda bond or equivalent.

The permatex stuff is cheaper and you get more.

ok thats what ill do from now on. when i disassembled my topend and saw the pristine condition it is in.. i just really want to do everthing i can to keep it like that for as long as possible. thanks again for the advice.

Those big excessive wads of RTV floating around inside an engine or gearbox are called "salamanders", for obvious reasons. They do hurt things. If you didn't put too much on so that is squeezed out like that, you will be OK on the intake or the base gasket. Not so much the case part line.

Those big excessive wads of RTV floating around inside an engine or gearbox are called "salamanders", for obvious reasons. They do hurt things. If you didn't put too much on so that is squeezed out like that, you will be OK on the intake or the base gasket. Not so much the case part line.

is that a good or bad on the case?

i didnt split the cases i just took off the top end. i used a little bit on the cylinder gasket and the intake gasket but didnt use it on the head crush gasket. so in the two places that i did use it iyo.. do you guys think it will be ok?

The permatex copper is what I use too , the key to it is also let it cure for 24 hours before you run the engine and put heat to it . once it is cured and bonded you are gtg with it. Also you should clean both surfaces very well , and add just enough to each surface , a layer thinner than a credit card and It won't let you down .