rounded drian plug

Vice grips, Than I replaced it with a close match from an auto store. Much easier to remove now. just not a metric head now for the plug.

what i did when this happened to me is, i got a bigger nut, drilled it so it could fit over the rounded nut, and then i had it welded onto it by a friend and it came off 1, 2, 3

get an easyout set, pull it out and when u put the replacement in dont put it in so hard, it will actually seal better if you dont crank it down, snug it 1/4 turn to 1/2 turn after you have it hand tightened, and always use the correct size socket

Vise grips work great but you need to get a bite on the upper flange of the bolt,not where the hex is.Just be sure to position it so they don't hit the cases when turning them.

I had one the hulk had put in which was all rounded off (of course). I tried everything and the final thing that took it out was the irwin bolt extractors.

They actually work better than internal screw extractors (easy-outs) because they grip a larger radius of the head instead of the very inside after you've drilled a hole down the middle. They work GREAT.

I had one the hulk had put in which was all rounded off (of course). I tried everything and the final thing that took it out was the irwin bolt extractors.

They actually work better than internal screw extractors (easy-outs) because they grip a larger radius of the head instead of the very inside after you've drilled a hole down the middle. They work GREAT.

thats what i meant haha, got a set of those extractors they are amazing

I agree , you need a bolt extractor but what they didn't mention is a torch.. Keep heating up the bolt till its easy to come out.. I would say a good five mins of heat from a torch unless you have map gas then three mins.

If you can't get one of those extractors, try to cut a slit in the middle of the bolt with a dremel tool so that you can just use a screwdriver to get it out. I've done it with other things before just not a drain plug.

I have an 8 piece set of these. Think I paid like 20 for them. Only used them a couple times but work great. They actually bite into the bolt instead of gripping on the sides.

if vice grips dont work grind some flat spots into the bolt for them to grab on to. they have never failed me in this situation.