Reverse off set wheels vs spacers?

CMcQuay

May 24, 2012
Memphis
I keep reading all the bad about spacers but not a lot of mention of the off set wheels which I have, are they as bad or ok to use?

i had been using durablue rear 2.5 spacers with stock zero offset wheels. never had a problem. i just recently got ITP wheels with a 5-3 offset and felt it was going to be a little too much stress on the hubs with the offset wheels and spacers, so i bought a banshee axle and ditched the spacers. now i'm about 5.5 inches wide over stock.

It depends on where and how you ride.

All extensions, wether it be offsetting or spacers will put extra strain on bearings, spindles, steering components, and hubs.

Thought should be put into how you widen.

Putting offset wheels, and 3" spacers on the front spindles is going to increase the forces put on the components dramatically.

For example, if you have trouble cracking a tight bolt, you reach for a longer breaker bar.

Get my drift!

if you have trouble cracking a tight bolt, you reach for a longer breaker bar...

nah, a 4 foot pipe does WONDERS!!! lol!!!

i run offset rims and i have NO complaints! they're about the equivalent of 'flipped' stock rims but even before the +3 arms they felt very surefooted. no real bump steer either. i think if you were gonna use spacers on the front id keep a limit at 1 1/4. with either flipped wheels, offset rims or spacers ,(in what ever combination) any more and like Blaaster says; its TOO much strain on the front end componentes.

nah, a 4 foot pipe does WONDERS!!! lol!!!

i run offset rims and i have NO complaints! they're about the equivalent of 'flipped' stock rims but even before the +3 arms they felt very surefooted. no real bump steer either. i think if you were gonna use spacers on the front id keep a limit at 1 1/4. with either flipped wheels, offset or spacers ,(in what ever combination) any more and like Blaaster says; its TOO much strain on the front end componentes.

4' pipe.... HA! I remeber me and a guy had to change balls on a hitch that was rusted togather and maybe sandblasted or something, never been off in YEARS!! WE ended up using a 10+ foot pole we found behind the shop! Took ages !!!

Anyway,

I wouldn't have spacers..

1) because i hate telling people i have spacers

2)If your going to mess with what the factory has already set up, you need to do it right... meaning, Extend your a-arms and what-not... but that costs a lot of $$$.

So, offset wheels don't sound so bad... Even though they do add stress................

Probably ok for yur riding conditions...

4' pipe.... HA! I remeber me and a guy had to change balls on a hitch that was rusted togather and maybe sandblasted or something, never been off in YEARS!! WE ended up using a 10+ foot pole we found behind the shop! Took ages !!!..

I always said, if it's too much for a 4' pipe and a good breaker bar, fugg it, get out the hot wrenches!!!! If You Can't turn it, Burn it!!! Lmao!!!