Reeds breaking!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmay

Mar 21, 2010
Greenup, Kentucky
I've asked this befor, but never really got a good answer. I keep breaking reeds and i cant figure out why. When I take my reed cage out, I've moved the piston up and down and nothing is moving out to where it would break the reeds! Is there supposed to be a hole in the piston on the side? The bike will run good for about 2 or 3 rides and then it seems like the reeds just give out????????????????????:-/

What kind of reeds are these that keep breaking.all I've ever used are boysen and now for the first time vf3's and they're a major improvement over my boysens.but I've never fully broken one.check for the stopper and to see if maybe they're over torqued causing stress cracks.there's a logical explanation for this.

x2, what kind of reeds are you breaking? i've heard that the vito's reeds are timebombs. are you putting new reeds in every time?

i was running boysen reeds until i ran out! I made my own out of a credit card and it looks like something hit them and pushed them in. their not broke now, just pushed in and bent?????X(

the plastic that credit cards are made of will break down from the fuel and probably melt. i have seen people use them but they only last temporarily before you'll have melted plastic all over the bottom end

cant get the camera to work, but the new ones are vito's dual stage carbon fiber reeds. I put them on and i've rode it for about 4hrs and haven't checked them yet, but when i was coming home it was like it was cutting out?

well it started doing the same thing again, haven't checked the reeds yet, but i'm sure one will be broke again!!! probably going to sell it, sick of the headache!!! got a new 08 big bear and will probably just just get me a 450! any1 have a clue what this could be??????????????:-/

there has to be a reason why it has been breaking reeds. the vito's carbon ones have been known to break.

does ur bike back fire ever? and are you using the stock reed stops because with both vitos and boyesen ur not supposed to use them

how about back firing tho? and what exactly is happening to the reeds(not the credit card ones because those wont last) are the cracking off, chipping, warping? any pics of the damaged ones may help.

Status
Not open for further replies.