rear brake question

Mystical Racer

Feb 19, 2013
Fort Campbell, KY
i know that there are many links on here for the rear brakes of the blaster and going over to the shorty cable. My question is I guess has anyone ever been able to just remove the cable from the handlebar back to pedal and then just trim the cable from pedal back to the caliber instead of getting a shorty cable just creating one out of the cables you have. I mean I am looking at mine when pressing the foot pedal and just seems as though the cable is to long going to the caliber to fully engage.

Someone did that on here I think. I know i read it somewhere. try doing a search for it.

yes you can cut and use just the rear portion, we'll see how sams search skillz are :)

but really, you need to read this thread, screw the adjuster on the caliper the whole way in, then adjust the white plastic "self" adjuster inside the caliper (it rarely self adjusts) to tighten the worn pads against the disc more, then use the cable adjuster to take up the slack.
it is possible your cable is stretched beyond the limit, and a new shorty or the DIY shortening will help tons

http://www.blasterforum.com/do-yourself-20/cable-rear-brakes-how-make-them-work-3830/

Thanks Sam for the link good reading. I know of some shorty cables but was wondering if it was just as easy as doing the other way. was looking around and got mix reviews on the shorty system and where i am only can order and seems crazy price plus shipping

NO problem. Ya it sure isn't hydro brakes. I have one on mine and it was a cheap way to get it running but i'll upgrade to awks hydro set up at some point. IT oes give things a clean look though. Where have you looked? I got mine off e bay for 20 dollars plus shipping. If you keep a keen eye out you'll see stuff pop up from time to time for a good price.

yes Sam i seen those priced at that also. was thinking if its essentially just a shorter cable just can't justify the $20 plus $4 shipping for a piece of cable i could possibly buy locally same length and use.. I seen them on forums also for sale.

i have a 2000 blaster is it supposed to have a rear master cylinder ?

no, the brakes on 88-02's are cable actuated mechanical brakes,
not hydrualic which uses a master cylinder.