ran dry

militaryblaster

Oct 30, 2008
St.Louis
I just rebuilt my engine and was riding it then took a break to let it cool off. I forgot to turn my gas on when I started riding it again so it ran out of gas and died. I was wondering if anybody thinks this could have hurt it and if so how bad? It seems to be running right and it sounds good.

nah that aint bad i dont think! Just like a car runnin out of gas....i dont think its a big deal....especially if its runnin fine now...when i saw the title to this thread i thouught ur engine ran dry of oil! lol not good happened to me! lol good luck

Yeah, its fine. I dont know how many times a day i would run my old lawnmower out of gas riding in the fields and the woods. I think on cars and stuff you have to do something to the fuel filter or fuel system, most likely prime it. But other then that its fine.

only thing would have possibly done is rev up the engine, maybe further than you are along with your break in process. scared the sh*t out of me when i did this, not to long ago first couple idle processes, started revving up and i freaked and ran back to it because i had the thought of the old revving full out without being able to shut her down with the kill switch or anything else. but it didnt rev that high, went up then died.

there is a slight possiablity that you COULD hurt something because when you run out of gas on a 2 stroke it also runs out of oil (premix). But it happens allot and not that big of a deal. Chain saws on the other hand if you run them dry under full load allot it will burn up the piston because they run 50:1 premx, but you should be at 32:1 or oil injected which runs about 24:1. your fine thou.
Mark Walke

dont tripp on it...your good...i think everyone on here has forgot to turn on there gas atleast once...

At least once!!! How about at least about a million times!!

I do it all the time. It's not a good thing for a two stroke, but it's not going to really hurt it. Maybe if you had it topped out ripping down the road and it all of the sudden cut out, then maybe your motor would be spinning for a little bit without lubrication, but not enough to hurt it.

I can't count how many times (with many different types of bikes) I've done it. There is this area on the trail at my parent's house where it always happens. The road turns into a dirt road after my rent's house, or more of a trail (since we rarely drive anything down it other than quads and bikes) and once you get over the first hump and go down this gentle hill into a long straight-a-way, right when you're getting ready to hammer down, the thing dies. So many times I've been pissed trying to figure out what happened, only to look down and see that the fuel was off!!