Racing question :)

My 14 year old son wants to start racing his blaster on trails and such. I have never done any racing myself, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on whats needed or good to have on the bike, heck anything and everything advice wise would be nice even websites that might have good info for my son and I. I:I

Eh well racing in trails and such would be more like GNCC. Which is honestly cool and all but is more of an endurance race. i myself love MX racing. Its fast paced and takes a lot more skill. i would research some local tracks and go check out some of the bikes and ideas people do have. and just to see the racing community around you parts. but inthe long run if he wants to start racing competitivly i would deffinitly recommend MX racing. (i apologize for the poor spelling)

yeah and full gear such as long jersey boots pants ETC. and i wear a leatt brace too for that extra mile =o

For the bike I'd focus on mainly suspension, the smoother you can ride the faster you can ride.;) . You might wanna add a lil width also. I thought the stock width would've been better thru the trees, well it was, but I couldnt charge corners like I wanted to and ended up bicycling around most of em. lol. Maybe +2 arms and a banshee axle is what i'd go with. Oh and a steering damper is a good idea too!

Eh well racing in trails and such would be more like GNCC. Which is honestly cool and all but is more of an endurance race. i myself love MX racing. Its fast paced and takes a lot more skill. i would research some local tracks and go check out some of the bikes and ideas people do have. and just to see the racing community around you parts. but inthe long run if he wants to start racing competitivly i would deffinitly recommend MX racing. (i apologize for the poor spelling)

I DUNNO... i have raced a few gncc races and it requires some serious skill...there are nasty hills,stumbs,drop offs,and in the mud...also when u come out of the woods there is usually small mx style course. i guess neither really take skill if u want to come in last! :)

I DUNNO... i have raced a few gncc races and it requires some serious skill...there are nasty hills,stumbs,drop offs,and in the mud...also when u come out of the woods there is usually small mx style course. i guess neither really take skill if u want to come in last! :)
Thats right! lol. The way I see it, both types of racing requires skill, but not the same kind of skill.. B)
Blasterkid, you could prolly run yours in Xc. The average width of most of the rides are around 46-48".

You need ground clearance !! You need a solid machnie that will hold up for 1-1.5 hours of hard riding.. I would recommend a hydration pack so you can take a drink as you ride.. Hand guards would be a good idea since you come to some narrow parts where trees could jump out at you, and they help keep mud off your grips as well. You also need the controls/bars setup for comfort since riding for that long uncomfortable will make you very unhappy near the end of the race.

Most races require a tether, and an ATVA membership. Our local courses require those plus a district club membership as well..

Eh well racing in trails and such would be more like GNCC. Which is honestly cool and all but is more of an endurance race. i myself love MX racing. Its fast paced and takes a lot more skill.

Have you ever seen one of these?? Most do have about a percentage of MX in them. So not only does it take skill, but endurance.

You need ground clearance !! You need a solid machnie that will hold up for 1-1.5 hours of hard riding.. I would recommend a hydration pack so you can take a drink as you ride.. Hand guards would be a good idea since you come to some narrow parts where trees could jump out at you, and they help keep mud off your grips as well. You also need the controls/bars setup for comfort since riding for that long uncomfortable will make you very unhappy near the end of the race.

Most races require a tether, and an ATVA membership. Our local courses require those plus a district club membership as well..

Have you ever seen one of these?? Most do have about a percentage of MX in them. So not only does it take skill, but endurance.
Haha ya, I about forgot about a camelbak. I messed up and ran my very first race w/o one and I almost monkeyed out there! THe control setup is prolly as important as suspension to me, especially the thumb throttle. You can try using a 400ex, 450r or even trx90 thumb throttle to make it a lil easier on your thumb...Or you can go all out and get a Moose easy pull or a Dual Gasser for a 400ex or 450r. THey'll all work with your stock cable.;)

hes right....since hes goin by what i told him after my first race lol

hes right....since hes goin by what i told him after my first race lol

Umm you think I figure things out by myself?? Why do you think I am so smart?? I listen, and regurgitate that info !

Thats also why I wanted those case savers so badly ! So you can have that extra few inches by removing that skid !