Putting engine BACK together, tips, tricks, ideas wanted!

I never seen his set of videos. Those are great!
So much better than reading it in a Clymer!

There is a spot in there where he says make sure the bearing on the end of the shifter drum moves freely. Ours does but it seems like occasionally, a small speck of something moves around causing it to slow down just a little bit but then frees itself after a few spins. I thought about just spinning it and letting some fluid run though it hoping to knock out whatever is in there.

I think we need to clean the parts some more before we use them.

Thanks a lot for that video!

I've been using RockyMountainATV.com for my parts but I can't find some things like the bearing for the shifter drum.
Any other sites that are good and cheap?

I've been using RockyMountainATV.com for my parts but I can't find some things like the bearing for the shifter drum.
Any other sites that are good and cheap?

cheapcyclepart.com or local yami dealer there is no kit available! i have heard that napa can cross reference the numbers on the bearings too!

here is a parts listr for ya I have done this twice now!-

these are yamaha part numbers!

Balance shaft bearings 93306-20335-00 and 93306-20211-00

Clutch push lever bearing- 93315-21429-00

Tranny bearings as follows:
Drive axle (sprocket side)- 93306-30421-00
Drive axle (1st gear side)- 93311-51554-00
Main axle- (clutch side)- 93306-20431-00
Main axle- (5thGear side)- 93311-31567-00

Crank bearings-
(Flywheel side)- 93306-20562-00
(Drive gear side)- 93306-30556-00

Flywheel woodruff key- 90280-03017-00

cheapcyclepart.com or local yami dealer there is no kit available! i have heard that napa can cross reference the numbers on the bearings too!

here is a parts listr for ya I have done this twice now!-

these are yamaha part numbers!

Balance shaft bearings 93306-20335-00 and 93306-20211-00

Clutch push lever bearing- 93315-21429-00

Tranny bearings as follows:
Drive axle (sprocket side)- 93306-30421-00
Drive axle (1st gear side)- 93311-51554-00
Main axle- (clutch side)- 93306-20431-00
Main axle- (5thGear side)- 93311-31567-00

Crank bearings-
(Flywheel side)- 93306-20562-00
(Drive gear side)- 93306-30556-00

Flywheel woodruff key- 90280-03017-00

awesome info slickers, reps given
please start a new thread with all these #'s
so i can sticky it !!!

Thanks Slick! That helps a lot! I tried the cheap cycle link but got nowhere so I'll bring your list into Napa and see what they can do.

A) You don't happen to have the number for the shifter drum bearing do you?

I noticed in Ken's video he said keep an eye on the condition of the material around the key on the shifter drum. Mine is just a tiny bit chewed up. The key is fine, though.
B ) Should I get a whole new drum with bearing or try to fix this one?

I checked on everything else in the video. Only other possible spot is where the gear slides back and forth to engage the other gear on the inside. Mine is showing a little rounding on the inside of the bigger gear. Again, not a whole lot but enough to notice. My shifter star has a little wear on the outside flat edges.
C) Can that be remedied or need to be replaced?

Another thing, I noticed is a good amount of previous mechanic's liquid gasket for the case halves oozed all around inside and a lot on the crank pieces.
D) How much of a bad thing is that?

I'm thinking about the need to replace some of the bolts like some of the case bolts and the ones behind the flywheel.
E) Any ideas where to get some of those?

I think that's all the questions for now, LOL!

Thanks Slick! That helps a lot! I tried the cheap cycle link but got nowhere so I'll bring your list into Napa and see what they can do.

A) You don't happen to have the number for the shifter drum bearing do you?

I noticed in Ken's video he said keep an eye on the condition of the material around the key on the shifter drum. Mine is just a tiny bit chewed up. The key is fine, though.
B ) Should I get a whole new drum with bearing or try to fix this one?

I checked on everything else in the video. Only other possible spot is where the gear slides back and forth to engage the other gear on the inside. Mine is showing a little rounding on the inside of the bigger gear. Again, not a whole lot but enough to notice. My shifter star has a little wear on the outside flat edges.
C) Can that be remedied or need to be replaced?

Another thing, I noticed is a good amount of previous mechanic's liquid gasket for the case halves oozed all around inside and a lot on the crank pieces.
D) How much of a bad thing is that?

I'm thinking about the need to replace some of the bolts like some of the case bolts and the ones behind the flywheel.
E) Any ideas where to get some of those?

I think that's all the questions for now, LOL!

I believe they (napa) needs the number off of the actual bearing on the race there is a number on each one! I do not have these numbers yet if you replace all the bearings please pm the numbers on each bearing and i have AWK add it to my post!

A. You have to buy a whole new shift drum to get a new bearing. Part Number-5KJ-18540-00-00 And all the new ones have the shift star welded to the drum.

B. Yes!

C. If I had any doubt of a part I'd replace it while I had it apart. A pic would help better diagnose! Maybe just normal wear but I'd like to see to be certain.

D. It happens, some guys use too much, just remove the old stuff from the parts.

E. kenoconnerracing.com or Pm him on here he has or can get the whole set! Ebay is also a place to find those.

F. Drink the koolaid it will refresh you! OH YEAH!

Last edited:
thank you slick aswell for those tranny bearing listing. i gotta block that was ran dry of oil. all bearings toasted, this bearing info is something i needed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I PM'd Ken and will take pics of my shifter drum tonight and hopefully post tomorrow for your inspection and opinion. Either way, I'm worried about the bearing and a few more in the case (balancer and main shaft I think). Sounds like I should just replace all just for piece of mind.
Depends on money...

I PM'd Ken and will take pics of my shifter drum tonight and hopefully post tomorrow for your inspection and opinion. Either way, I'm worried about the bearing and a few more in the case (balancer and main shaft I think). Sounds like I should just replace all just for piece of mind.
Depends on money...

I'm sure i spent 150-200 on all new bearings, woodruff keys, lock washers. That's all of them including the main crank ones! I would at least replace the main crank bearings while it's apart, and any others that just don't feel right!I:I