Push Start but no Kick

Wojo

Nov 29, 2009
Hey guys. new to the forums. i love it here. anyways. i have a 1988 Blaster that i just bought for 100 bones. when i got it it was a mess. water in the crankcase from a hole in the crank cover. carb needed rebuilt. and it looked like a 2 year old tried to paint it. so. i started revamping the bike and changed the oil. patched the hole. put fresh gas in. rebuilt the carb. checked the reeds (all were good and seeling well) disabled tors. refilled the oil injection system ( i will disconnect this soon) and tried to start. for starters. the kick does not come back up. it just sits in the down position every time you kick it. so i know the kick needs rebuilt. also. the bike will not start. maybe once in 100 kicks it will start. but other than that nothin. the second you push start it and pop the clutch it starts right up and runs and idles fine. like i said. i checked everything. i have 120 pounds of compression which i am told by the yamaha dealer is average for this altitude. so. at this point. im kind of stuck as to why it will not kick but instead push start. does anybody have any ideas??? i changed the spark plug also.

well first for the kick starter the spring is missing on the inside for the return or it just slipped of its spot. that part is no biggy. thats like a 10 min fix for me. and you say it does have 120lbs. hmm that ones got me. mine would start every 3rd kick with only 90lbs.

not tryin to be a dick but you are using the choke right.

air filter is clean correct.

good fuel too.

you need air fuel comression and spark for an engine to run. did you check the spark at all to see if its fireing deid center on the plug and if it is a good bright spark. if not could be bad coil pack or stator.

any one else got any ideas

i beleive ur kickstart gears slipped when the spring came loose so its not putting enough force to crank the motor when u kick it. there is a diy with pics on hwo to fix and line up ur kickstarter gear

Hey man! I have few ideas that should get you going. The problem with your engine (kickstarter issue aside) is probably the ignition timing. Here's what I bet happened: (My '02 Blaster had the same issue)

The flywheel key is more than likely sheared or missing. This key controls the position of the flywheel magnets, relative to the CDI trigger coil mounted on the stator plate. If the key shears or was forgotten by a previous tinkerer, the engine's ignition will still fire. However, the spark goes off at the wrong time. This can cause the engine to be VERY hard to start, overheat, and kick back. Kicking back occurs when the timing is so far off that the plug fires while the piston is still partway up on the compression stroke (WAY before TDC).

Let's say that the plug fires early. The partially-compressed fuel charge in the cylinder still ignites, but the resulting force reverses the piston travel. Simply put, an out-of-time engine will sometimes try to run backwards when you kick it. If the kickstarter is engaged when this happens, disaster strikes. The engine slams the kick lever back around. If it doesn't break your leg first, it will smash into the engine case, knocking out a piece. Also, the kick starter mechanism inside the engine case is often damaged during such an event.

Anyways, your (now-patched) holed case and hard-starting symptom suggest timing problems. This is easy to fix. I'd get a Clymer or Hanes manual for your quad. They really help!! Then, get a flywheel puller from Vito's or Motion Pro. This tool is cheap, it's the best way to pop a Blaster flywheel. Pull the flywheel and look at the key. I bet it is sheared right off or missing outright. Put on a new key (be sure to use an OEM Yamaha part), and I bet it'll fire right up. ;) Tip: Don't run your Blaster if you think the timing may be off. It will soon overheat, and you'll wind up needing a new top end.

As for your kickstarter, the return spring is broken. I would fix this soon. The guide clip for the kick gear may also be bent. You'll have to pull the crankcase cover to check it out, but it's only 8 bolts and an oil drain away. Unbolt the kick lever and slide it off the shaft before taking the engine cover off. Anyways, you can get a whole used kickstarter mechanism on ebay pretty cheap if you don't want to try to repair yours. This is where a Blaster manual really helps. You can see exactly how it all goes back together. You might want to go ahead and replaced that broken engine cover while you have it off, as patches tend to leak if a Blaster is ridden as Yamaha intended.

Hey, dude. Sorry to talk so much. But I think this will help. Good luck!! BTW, you can go ahead and install that oil injection block-off while you have the crankcase cover off. Better now than having to rip it apart again later!

fix the kicker thats your problem nothin fancy, my blaster never started on the first kick anyways always the 2nd or 3rd kick...
if your able to repeatedly kick it over quickly then it will start...

Hi, im a new memeber and cant figure out how to start a form. could any of u help me? i know its not about the topic and im sorry about that.