problem of my own? or what

Tylerbb25331

Feb 22, 2013
ive done a ton of research and have done what everyone says is correct, my situation :

i have a 96 blaster mods are bored .50 over, full fmf pipe and slip on, boysen reeds, 300 jetting, air box lid removed

things ive done to this blaster : leak test #1 found had had bad seals and bottom end so i replaced all that

leak test #2 bad top end gaskets, replaced those

leak test #3 perfect no leaks..................i had two broken magnets on my fly wheel replaced that with a brand new one, also replaced my pick up coil, also put a new cdi on it

my problem? still bogs down as if flooding its self or to much air, getting a weak(yellow)spark, i rode it yesterday and it started out like a crappy ride then it kicked in ( i guess i would say) but if i didnt hold it wide open it would start to die, then later it bogged out and lost spark, today i went to try it out changed spark plugs, checked wires...etc, it started up with out a problem but would die if i didnt give it full throttle and it randomly "kicked in" then died down repeatedly

any help/suggestions, questions about something i wasnt clear on??

theres a little clip inside ur carb where ur slide goes in make sure u have the slide on that clip also. not really a fan of valvoline 2 cylce oil but every has there preferences. i think ur slide needs to be seated with the clip inside ur carb its probably not in all the way. thats why its hard starting/having to rev it so much.

The weak yellow spark concerns me, are the grounds clean, are the connectors clean and moisture free.

Try removing the spark plug boot, cut of about 1/2 inch of wire and replace the boot.

The needle should be in the middle slot for your mods.

Valvoline oil is fine providing it is for air cooled motorcycles.

Set your idle.

Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain when the screw is cracked open.

Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.

Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.

Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+

Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.

Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.

Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .

The weak yellow spark concerns me, are the grounds clean, are the connectors clean and moisture free.

Try removing the spark plug boot, cut of about 1/2 inch of wire and replace the boot.

The needle should be in the middle slot for your mods.

Valvoline oil is fine providing it is for air cooled motorcycles.

Set your idle.

Set float level, make sure that all jets are clean and fuel flows freely from the float bowl drain when the screw is cracked open.

Start with air screw 1.5 turns out.

Set idle screw so that it has some sort of idle. With TORS it is the big screw under seat on top of unit. With no TORS is is the brass screw midway down carb body.

Warm up motor and then set idle screw for a faster idle, 2000rpm+

Adjust air screw either way to get the fastest idle.

Adjust air screw a little at a time leaving 10 secs or until the motor responds.

Re adjust idle screw for desired idle .

ya blaaster the yellow spark was my main concern, can you tell me the place(s) i should check for ground, i thought i knew but i always manage to miss something

did you look at your pilot jet?

i got mine and the guy that had it bored out the stock one pilot jet

ya dude before was running a 250 with all the mods -__- i put a 300 in and it made it better, i just made a video of it idleing and im messing with it too, i did this like 5 minutes ago so i gotta put it on youtube first then ill paste is over here to show yall what it doing while it just idles, and in the video this is after doing everything blaaster said to do

he is the video keep is mind this is about 20 minutes after letting it warm up

Last edited by a moderator:

its runs like new when out of gas ???? floats???? ive about got it!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
The part the jet needle slides into is the needle jet, and that is kept in place on most carbys by the brass washer under the main jet.