Pre-detonation

dre2992

Apr 30, 2013
Hello my blaster is pre-detonating and I blew one motor up rebuild everything and it is doing it again why is this being cause how can I fix it I am running the middle gas and I'm running a hotter spark plug what else can I do to make it stop

How do you know it has "pre-detonation"? Perhaps its an air leak, or lean condition. Have you did a leak down test on your engine? What have you done to your engine... exactly. We need LOTS of details, so we can help you. Lay it on us... what modifications were done, pipe, carb, jets, fuel, air filter, reeds, piston, etc.. Do you have any photographs of the blown up engine you repaired?

How do you know it has "pre-detonation"? Perhaps its an air leak, or lean condition. Have you did a leak down test on your engine? What have you done to your engine... exactly. We need LOTS of details, so we can help you. Lay it on us... what modifications were done, pipe, carb, jets, fuel, air filter, feeds, piston, etc.. Do you have any photographs of the blown up engine you repaired?

I have a 260 Main jet, air lid off, FMF full exhaust, and Namura piston, i'm running 32:1 bean oil and has not blown up yet, and I do not want it to, and I know it's pre detonating because that's what everyone has told me on why my other piston has a hole in the middle of it it's all I can think of right now

What the hell does that mean??? /\ /\ /\

Back to basics, did you check for leaks with a leak down test and a plug chop?
yea to both and and sorry I'm sure that doesn't make any sense I'm talking to my phone because I'm lazy lol

FMF pipe with the air box lid off and 32:1 premix would prolly need a 300 main jet.

Needle on middle clip.

B8es plug.

Plug chop to confirm!

FMF pipe with the air box lid off and 32:1 premix would prolly need a 300 main jet.

Needle on middle clip.

B8es plug.

Plug chop to confirm!

THAT /\ !!!!!!

but I'll say it again............
260 main with FMF, lid off and fuel/oil mix is way too lean.
no way a plug chop came back correct !
290 - 310 main depending on your elevation.
if I remember correctly your in virginia near sea level ?
sea level requires richer jetting than higher elevations

plus...... run 93 octane, higher octanes fuel helps prevent detonation.

Why are you running a hotter plug? Has your head been milled? What does a compression test revel?
Running a hotter plug will not change the combustion temperature.

Combustion temperature is controlled by the air fuel mix, high compression with a low octane fuel and the degrees of advance to the timing.

Detonation: Detonation is the spontaneous combustion of the end-gas (remaining fuel/air mixture) in the chamber. It always occurs after normal combustion is initiated by the spark plug. The initial combustion at the spark plug is followed by a normal combustion burn. For some reason, likely heat and pressure, the end gas in the chamber spontaneously combusts. The key point here is that detonation occurs after you have initiated the normal combustion with the spark plug.

Pre-ignition: Pre-ignition is defined as the ignition of the mixture prior to the spark plug firing. Anytime something causes the mixture in the chamber to ignite prior to the spark plug event it is classified as pre-ignition. The two are completely different and abnormal phenomenon.

THAT /\ !!!!!!

but I'll say it again............
260 main with FMF, lid off and fuel/oil mix is way too lean.
no way a plug chop came back correct !
290 - 310 main depending on your elevation.
if I remember correctly your in virginia near sea level ?
sea level requires richer jetting than higher elevations

plus...... run 93 octane, higher octanes fuel helps prevent detonation.
I'm in Missouri

Ok so I think it might me my plug I was told to go to a hotter plug to help it what octane fuel should I be running it should be mid or high-octane