Power band

Feb 6, 2014
Florida
Hey guys quick question.

I have a 97 Blaster with FMF Pipe and have noticed that 1st - 3rd gear the bike pulls hard and hit the power band. When I get into 4th I have to fan the clutch to get the power to kick in and in 5th and 6th I can pin the throttle but never hit a power band. Any ideas on what could be causing this?

When did it start doing this, did it just start or has it always done it.

Try leaning over and pulling out the choke a little.

If it gets better you are running lean or have an air leak.

If it gets worse you are too rich.

Did a compression test 136. I will try the choke idea tomorrow and will report back. I am running a 260 main jet. The clutch is fully engaging but just seems to never get high enough rpm in 4th and higher. 1 - 3 screams.

when was the last time the air filter and carb were cleaned ?
was that 260 main jet confirmed with plug chops for that FMF pipe ?

Carb was cleaned last month when I did the tors mod. I put the 260 in and did plug chop all was good used to have power though all gears this just started. It has been about 2 months since air filter was cleaned. I have only rode the bike about 6 hours though in that time.

Hey guys it has been raining here the last few days so I have not had a chance to test your ideas. I did clean the air filter and put a new plug in. Will report back when the weather improves.

Update :

Ok I cleaned the air filter and it rips through all 6 gears now. I took the filter off and it had a k&n style blue filter. I used my k&n cleaning kit cleaned it and oil it but with the oil on it the bike would just smoke alot and not move. I cleaned it again and did not oil the filter and it runs great. Does it need to be oiled? Should I have used something besides the k&N oil or is it fine with now oil?

It needs to be oiled.

Oil is put on to collect particles of dust, without the oil dust will pass through and harm the engine.

If it runs better without oil on the filter, your jetting is off, a tad rich I would say, float level may be incorrect!