Power band issues

03blasterider

Jan 1, 2011
Ok so yesterday I rebuild my 1999 blaster and I start it up for the first time and I runs great so I started to break it in and am noticing that it doesn't go smoothly in to the power band like my 03 blaster did is there a way that I can fix this? And also could this keen that it has a port because I know nothing about this quad I got it from some guy half blown up over the winter any advice is helpfully. thanks

Are you breaking it in correctly? Are you performing heat cycles correctly? Is the jetting dialed in correctly? Did you do a leak down test? Compression test?

Heat cycles should consist of slowly revving it for about 10 mins or when the engine temperature reaches around 200 degrees Fahrenheit. You do not want the engine to idle. Repeat this about 4 times, re-torquing the cylinder and cylinder head to proper specs along the way.

Ok I was reving for ten mins I did a leak down test and I don't know what the proper jetting would be for it it has some mods will check that out

you shouldn't be worried about it going into powerband yet. you must perform the heat cycles before you ever ride it to get everything seated.

If you are ripping on the blaster already, without performing heat cycles, and especially without checking to see if you have the right jetting, expect to be rebuilding at least that top end again sometime soon!

XXX-2 on heat cycles/breakin. Do you have clean air filter, carb , fresh fuel,plug? What other mods does it have? Pipe? Can you describe the "port" job it has? Very possible that a "hack" port job may never run right, and could very well be the cause of engine failure, especially if the exhaust port is way to wide. Was there good champhering on the ports?

Take notice of all above and take action.

Please list all your mods and present jetting so we have enough info to work with.