Possible new project?

bummer981

Powered by Smoke & Mirrors
Mar 1, 2011
Rochester, New York
I've been looking for a cheap Blaster project. I found this one about three hours from me. He is asking for 300 with bad crank bearings and the bike is completely torn down to the frame. The top end is off of the motor and the bottom end is still together. He says its on its original bore, and claims it had good compression when he tore it apart. It has new tires and plastics. He has already come down to 250 cash today. What do you guys think about it. He had some pictures before he tore it down.

IMG952011113095074100.jpg

IMG952011113095074049.jpg

This is how I will get it.

ResizedImage951331051409937.jpg

ResizedImage951331051470372.jpg

ResizedImage951331051484905.jpg

ResizedImage951331051502235.jpg

ResizedImage951331051515086.jpg

ResizedImage951331051528426.jpg

Judging by the color of the shocks it may have been a purple people eater Blaster at one time in its life.

Id jump all over that. You could part this beast out and make your money back off a couple parts. Id say definatly get it while you have the chance!

200 max! i see a pile of parts and i don't even know if everything is there. when there are little bolts and odds and ends missing it can be a headache. at least i get pissed anyhow.

on the other hand when it comes to a partout you could make some dough on it. also, that bumper could be used as a bull bar on the front of your truck lmao1!!

I'd grab it. You don't find deals like that around here very often. I picked up a '91 in july that was in worse shape but together for $350....

What year is that blaster? Just curious because the brake rotor is hard mounted...not floating like '88-'02 are...and it has aftermarket maier plastics which hide it's year even more. If it is older than '02, find out why the rear end was swapped, could have been hit hard in the back, and could have caused frame damage.

Gotta look at everything, and if you do go to buy it, make sure you get all the hardware with it. Like JonS said, not having hardware is a pain in the ass.

Thanks for the input guys. I just got back and the blaster is in the bed of the truck. It is a 2001, I got it for 250. He gave me an extra set of stock rims for the rear and the stock bumber off of his YFZ 450 which might work on it. I asked him where the cattle horns were for that brush clearing contraption for the front bumper. He said the previous owner did that and had a mechanical winch on the front of it. The plastics are mint and so are the tires, although the rears are those crazy balloon tires. There are no marks in the cylinder and the piston looks good. The crank bearings are definately toast and see some signs of heat distortion on the crank. Will put up more pictures in the morning.

Glad you got it! Id say thats a very good deal. Be sure to measure the cylinder before putting it back together. Id be very tempted to install a new Wiseco piston while all's apart.

Glad you got it! Id say thats a very good deal. Be sure to measure the cylinder before putting it back together. Id be very tempted to install a new Wiseco piston while all's apart.

Thats what i was thinking get it checked out and honed with new piston and rings while it is all apart.

The kid I bought it off got it with the "bad crank bearings". He said the PO was riding it and it just quit and locked up on him. So I pulled the flywheel off and found out why this dude thought the crank bearings were bad. one of the coils came loose inside the flywheel and was jammed up in there. This would only allow the crank to spin a little and would not go full circle. here are some pictures of the carnage. If he would have opened up the stator he would have found the easy fix.
flywheel2.jpg

flywheel3.jpg

flywheel4.jpg

The problem is when the key was sheared it is still in the shaft of the crank, I think you can make it out in the picture. Is there anyway to get that material out of there?
flywheel1.jpg

aw snap! You got lucky! That flywheel key looks like an annoying little bugger, maybe cutting a slot length wise with a dremel and prying it out with a small flat head screwdriver.