porting template

blaster man1

Jul 30, 2014
scotland
hi i was wondering if any one had a porting template that i could buy or borrow as i have the porting bug i have ported the exhaust raised 1mm, intake raised 1mm droped 2mm cleaned all the tranfers and polished the exhaust but want to try more.
im going to try boyson ports to but still re-searching any info on porting and boyson ports would be great to thanks

I would suggest doing a little at a time because if you go to far on port timing you cant go back. Boyesen ports aren't hard to do. there is a video if you havnt seen it yet.

it just the dimentions thats getting me the cylender is on its last bore and not on the quad just now i just love to learn new thinks but im stuck now boo hoo

What dimensions are you referring to? I can suggest another site for you to look at to help you a little on learning.
http://www.macdizzy.com/

Also ,, A Graham Bell and Jennings 2 stroke books. Good reading an you can learn allot..

The exhaust port porting is dead simple.
You want to make it a "D" shape with the flat edge on the top. Wider is better but wears the rings.
More radius to the top, the longer the rings will last, flatter gives more pipe response.
Do not touch the bottom of the port other than to clean up the sleeve window transition.
1mm is recommended, 2mm will make it a screamer, 3mm will hurt torque without other mods.
Shape and height are more important than polish. Don't take too much metal off.

This is a stock intake port with a piston in the cylinder:
602966_10151385064480803_1749445301_n.jpg

The intake skirt on the piston is very weak so don't narrow the center bridge but match the two as shown.
Radius the back of the piston bridge to the center on the inside of the piston only.
Radius the cylinder bridge ROUND to the airflow. Do not knife edge it. (not shown here)
Widen the sides of the cylinder ports as much as you dare, angle (not radius) to the center of the piston.
Match the sides of the piston with the cylinder port by angling to the center axis of the piston
To increase window height take metal off the top of the cylinder port and the bottom of the piston window.

My preference was to fill the intake with epoxy after widening:
63884_10151325105520803_565377488_n.jpg

A bit rough but it was a preliminary experiment on a worn out cylinder. Ran great.

Another experiment was a top port in well worn piston before we replaced it:
406043_10151385061070803_205544193_n.jpg

This worked well,

This did not:
418077_10151390023955803_2055729585_n.jpg

Oh well, we tried, we learned. More of a good thing is not always better.

Steve

Last edited:
I myself am not a fan of the D shaped exhaust port, the flat roof exhaust port make the bike very pipey, hard hit an put power more towards top end, especially with a mid/hi pipe, im not saying this port shape dont have a place, it does but not for my riding style an terrain. The oval shaped exhaust port is what I like, its a smoother transition, an pulls stronger in mid an low, as the its more progressive opening of the port, not all of a sudden the port opens.

Last edited:
I myself am not a fan of the D shaped exhaust port, the flat roof exhaust port make the bike very pipey, hard hit an put power more towards top end, especially with a mid/hi pipe, im not saying this port shape dont have a place, it does but not for my riding style an terrain. The oval shaped exhaust port is what I like, its a smoother transition, an pulls stronger in mid an low, as the its more progressive opening of the port, not all of a sudden the port opens.

True, and the wide "D" with very flat top is hell on the rings too,
but if you compromise a bit, you can get most of everything.

About the powervalve, my son has a 32hp DT200 engine in another Blaster.
It has an electronically actuated powervalve.

Both this worn out epoxy filled cylinder and JoeAK47's traditionally ported
high compression cylinder and head make more top end power and low end torque
than the stock DT200. Now if Joe or I played with the DT200 we might get
a bit more, but there is no need for the complication.
There is plenty of power in the little 200 Blaster.

10526015_10152565385625803_616891647263392686_n.jpg

10537120_10152565385665803_4006090999319035637_n.jpg

Steve