Porting Program

OConnor Racing

Mines Bigger
Technician
Dec 1, 2009
CT
www.kenoconnorracing.com
A while back when I did the porting DIY, I ran into this company. I asked them for a free copy to evaluate but got no response from them. It only cost like $20 so I put a crowbar in my wallet and bought it. After messing around with it for a couple of weeks, I got to say it's well worth the money. It took a little getting used to but it's easy when you get the hang of it. Basically you input a few measurements like the port distance from the top of the cylinder, deck height, bore, stroke and rod length. The program will instantly calculate the engine cc. After entering this info, the program will automatically calculate what the port duration is and where they open and close. I verified this information with a degree wheel and it was dead nuts. The next step is to decide on a desired target engine rpm. Once this is done, the program displays a graph with recommended port timings based on Bells research. You chose where you want to set the ports and the program calculates where and how much to cut. After this is done, you open the port cad program and display the port map. The program defines specific values for mean port area and calculates what they currently are. You make changes to the ports to fall within the defined values. When you're finished, you can even print a paper copy of the actual port map to the actual size of the cylinder. I would classify this product as an engine calculator and a real time saver. You don't need to use Bell's recommendations and can input any figures you want. I would recommend this product to anyone who wants to learn more about porting and it's well worth the money. I will say that it will let you get into trouble if you don't have a basic knowledge of some porting guidelines. Bell and Jennings will be required reading if you want to make the most of it.

porting-programs.com

as usual, more good info for anyone looking to try this themselves
as far as i can see the only builder on here giving out this type of "secret" info, again and again, instead of trying to drum up business with
"i'm the only one who can do this" bullshit

cool info, modeling software is awesome, and its great to get a starting point for port designs. does it give you expected horsepower and torque numbers? can you play with the port designs yourself and see a difference in the rpm range and expected horsepower change?

i've used software like this for doing automotive engines, you can play with cam lift, head flow cfm, bore sizes, stroke, rod ratios, carb cfm, fuell types, etc.

I haven't used that program before, but have looked into a little a few yrs ago when I was looking around for some porting software. I looked into Bi-motion software as well, and TSR. Even looked into mota. I ended up buying TSR. Its expensive to some, but well worth it. It came w/enough literature, that was worth some $$$ itself. It took a little to get used to, but its easy to use and understand, when you get the hang of it. Of course it doesn't tell you "exactly" what to do to your engine. It's a fancy calculator and sh*t in gives you sh*t out. You need to have knowledge on porting and engines and the different terms, used in porting talk, to understand what's going on. Don't expect to just buy any of the softwares available, and be able to just look up "blaster" and have it say "cut here and there and run this pipe" etc. You need to know what rpm your pipe is for and and how to measure your stock ports and understand the input data, and then understand the output data.

I wouldn't call any of this info secret really. Anyone with google can find a lot of good reading material on the subject and anyone with enough money can buy one of these porting programs. TSR software is probably the most common in the industry but I still prefer to do my math on paper. The secret info is in the exact measurements ect. for a particular setup. I doubt you'll see many people tossing around all of those numbers anywhere.

A while back when I did the porting DIY, I ran into this company. I asked them for a free copy to evaluate but got no response from them. It only cost like $20 so I put a crowbar in my wallet and bought it. After messing around with it for a couple of weeks, I got to say it's well worth the money. It took a little getting used to but it's easy when you get the hang of it. Basically you input a few measurements like the port distance from the top of the cylinder, deck height, bore, stroke and rod length. The program will instantly calculate the engine cc. After entering this info, the program will automatically calculate what the port duration is and where they open and close. I verified this information with a degree wheel and it was dead nuts. The next step is to decide on a desired target engine rpm. Once this is done, the program displays a graph with recommended port timings based on Bells research. You chose where you want to set the ports and the program calculates where and how much to cut. After this is done, you open the port cad program and display the port map. The program defines specific values for mean port area and calculates what they currently are. You make changes to the ports to fall within the defined values. When you're finished, you can even print a paper copy of the actual port map to the actual size of the cylinder. I would classify this product as an engine calculator and a real time saver. You don't need to use Bell's recommendations and can input any figures you want. I would recommend this product to anyone who wants to learn more about porting and it's well worth the money. I will say that it will let you get into trouble if you don't have a basic knowledge of some porting guidelines. Bell and Jennings will be required reading if you want to make the most of it.

That is some great info, thanks for sharing. Maybe this can be applied for the dyno build? As I see PSI can be turned into HP!

I doubt you'll see many people tossing around all of those numbers anywhere.

I don't understand why though, Winning races is not just who has the better Machine, but who knows how to ride. I'm not a very experienced rider and could take a ported and stroked machine and get smoked by someone who has better riding skills than myself. If you know how to ride then why not let the next guy have his machine worked the same as you. Or is it the Money thing?? I don't get it.

its all about supply and demand fellas. the builders have it and we all want it. they had to pay a lot of money to get the tools they have and they had to do some serious learning to get where they are.
awesome info oconner, id love to be able to just do all this stuff but it would be more convenient to just send it off and pay somebody.

Well, it's a matter of competition. If I shared all of my porting secrets then every builder would have them, what would that leave me with after all of my hard work and hours of R&D time to come up with that info? Port time area, port timing, matching to the pipe is the easy part. But getting exactly what you want with port angles, port shapes and head design is where the secrets really are. I suppose that if an other builder wanted to get his hands on one of my cylinders and map out the work then he would have a piece of my info, but it's just not something I'm going to give away. And, I'm sure the other builders feel the same about their work. Secret recipie if you will.

Well, it's a matter of competition. If I shared all of my porting secrets then every builder would have them, what would that leave me with after all of my hard work and hours of R&D time to come up with that info? Port time area, port timing, matching to the pipe is the easy part. But getting exactly what you want with port angles, port shapes and head design is where the secrets really are. I suppose that if an other builder wanted to get his hands on one of my cylinders and map out the work then he would have a piece of my info, but it's just not something I'm going to give away. And, I'm sure the other builders feel the same about their work. Secret recipie if you will.

I couldn't agree more, some people think R&D is free. It is hard to fathom the amount of time, work, and resources that will go into R&D because you guys have to realize, most of these guys don't JUST do Blasters.

The scope of this post is to encourage the next generation of builders to step up. The basics are all there. Let the new dudes mess with port angles. Rule of thumb.......... if you change port angles...........know why your doing it. I f you're not sure, don't change them. Read Jennings and Bell and figure it out from there. This is just a great tool to get started.

I agree with you 100%
You don't see engine builders taking pics of how they cut cylinder heads on the lathe/mill, the tooling they use and so on... The cylinder head design is something you do not see any engine builder talking about... There are huge power gains from the design... A lathe and milling machines are very expensive and the tooling for them could add up to thousands of dollars. I also agree 100% on the exhaust port shape and transfer shape and angles...

Not to be the perpetual black cloud, but half the people here can't even jet a bike correctly. So if you guys plan on attacking you cylinders with dremels, make sure you know how to walk before you start running or the inevitable response will be expensive.

Not to be the perpetual black cloud, but half the people here can't even jet a bike correctly. So if you guys plan on attacking you cylinders with dremels, make sure you know how to walk before you start running or the inevitable response will be expensive.

couldnt agree more

So................ who wants to see a DIY on cutting a cylinder head with specs and tooling? Basic 10th grade machining.

Oh, yah! I would appreciate that!

And thanks for what you're doing here. For sure a lot of peeps don't belong grinding on their cylinders but there are some of us that are going to do it anyway so it's great to get some info to play with instead of the general inference that "we don't have the skills, tools or knowledge.and we'll just screw it up". You don't get skills, knowledge and experience by believing that you can't. Most won't try it but maybe they'll have a better understanding of the work that goes into the mods they're paying for.

Go for it!
YZ Otis

Never hurts to learn more about the things we like or the ways to make them better. Or atleast not anymore then we are willing to live with any ways....lol

Oh, yah! I would appreciate that!

And thanks for what you're doing here. For sure a lot of peeps don't belong grinding on their cylinders but there are some of us that are going to do it anyway so it's great to get some info to play with instead of the general inference that "we don't have the skills, tools or knowledge.and we'll just screw it up". You don't get skills, knowledge and experience by believing that you can't. Most won't try it but maybe they'll have a better understanding of the work that goes into the mods they're paying for.

Go for it!
YZ Otis

I wasnt sying that people shouldnt try things.... Just that before you try building a house, you need to know how to build a good foundation. You may make a really cool house the first try, but if the foundation is bad, you will surely be hit in the head with a 2x4 as the roof collapses.

So................ who wants to see a DIY on cutting a cylinder head with specs and tooling? Basic 10th grade machining.

meeeeeeeee, i would love to see this so called "super secret" area of potential gain in our motors. glad you are here ken, its nice to see someone who wants to just share info freely and not be concerned about making money alllll the time. I:I