Porting for a stock pipe

SlowMoe

Aug 26, 2013
Hey, jus5 trying to weigh my options here.

My question is, can you port a stock blaster engine to have more power across the board, with the stock pipe? I managed to ride it yeasterday (new to me, 1st blaster with stock pipe) and I was pleasantly surprised at how early the power came on, and that it seemed to pull decently high; it has made me consider keeping the stock pipe and getting more power across this RPM range.

So obviously I won'twant to raise the exhaust port much, if at all, but what about widening it some, widening the transfers, clean up casting flaws etc (done professionally of course)....... Would there be a significant amount of power to gain by doing this, along with a milled and rechambered head? I guess the main thing to consider is: can the stock pipe flow enough gas to make use of the increased port area?

Any thoughts?

I, like every one else, will tell you to buy a new pipe.

Once you get an aftermarket pipe, you will be amazed at how bad the stock one really is.

FMF will probably be the cheapest if you are tight on funds.

I, like every one else, will tell you to buy a new pipe.

Once you get an aftermarket pipe, you will be amazed at how bad the stock one really is.

FMF will probably be the cheapest if you are tight on funds.

Hey man,

Yeah I have had 4 different blasters, in all states of tune from bone stock to a hollywood productions 240 (it was as fast as an atc250R), and honestly I like the power delivery of this pipe better than the other piped ones (one had a pro circuit, other a toomey).

I've also had several banshees (one was a 520cc powervalved cheetah motor with around 120hp), four stroke v-twins that I've fully rebuilt including mild porting, so I'm not really all that new to this.

At this point in my life I'm not really going for the super fast revving narrow powerband, plus I bought this blaster for really cheap and i plan on re-selling to make some money, possibly, so I honestly am pretty happy with the powerband of this one. If I could could put $200 or so into this engine and get a very noticeable (50% or so) increase in midrange power I would do it.
Because I know if I buy a pipe, then I'll catch the mod bug for sure and end up dumping $1,000 or more into it, which I really don't want to do.

Can't go wrong with the fmf pipe.:)

I really can't see how the FMF pipe has a more desirable powerband than stock

tumblr_ms76xrlMy91speilco1_500.png

The fmf pipe comes on stronger and faster. A little sooner too

Why not put the $1000 in it and keep it?

Haha. The only reason I bought it was bacause it was $450 and I knew I could re-sell it. for at least double.

I made the mistake though of riding it, so now I will post it for $1300 and ride it till it sells. I talked to o'connor and he said he could double my power AND keep the stock pipe (through head work jetting and porting). he says he rides with three blasters set up exactly this way and they run very very well even with the stock pipe, like I said 30+ hp....

You have a 520 PV Shee and you like how the power is on a bone stock Blaster? And V-Twin four strokes but you like how early the power comes on? I'm not trying to start anything but I must be missing something here.... In my opinion if I was shopping around for a Blaster and I saw an ad that says "Yamaha Blaster, full race port and rechambered head, engine mods" and I looked and saw the stock pipe, I'd hit the BACK button before you could blink. This is just my opinion.

PS- Another question.... You said in your first post "New to me, 1st Blaster" and in another post right after you said you've had 4 Blasters and aren't new to this?

You have a 520 PV Shee and you like how the power is on a bone stock Blaster? And V-Twin four strokes but you like how early the power comes on? I'm not trying to start anything but I must be missing something here.... In my opinion if I was shopping around for a Blaster and I saw an ad that says "Yamaha Blaster, full race port and rechambered head, engine mods" and I looked and saw the stock pipe, I'd hit the BACK button before you could blink. This is just my opinion.

PS- Another question.... You said in your first post "New to me, 1st Blaster" and in another post right after you said you've had 4 Blasters and aren't new to this?

I always look at the pipes, it auto drops the value like 400 to me...

And 1st blaster with the stock pipe

I always look at the pipes, it auto drops the value like 400 to me...

And 1st blaster with the stock pipe

Good catch.

Yeah and I know what you mean, most people would go for the piped blaster over the ported blaster, which in this case would be foolish given the $235 port/ head work would net me 15 or so horsepower whereas the $335 pipe would net me about 5 :eek:

You got me. Let me come clean.

I am an 11 year old dreaming of owning a blaster, but haveth not the money to afford one.

So I made up all that other stuff to impress you into thinking I'm cooler than I am. Ya got me :-[

No offense intended with that. But I didn't see the 1ST Blaster with stock pipe part. My mistake on that one. Just didn't make sense to me. Your Blaster man. :) If Ken can do it and has knowledge of the results from experience, then do it! I wouldn't keep the stock pipe on one of my personal builds but that is me. Eventually you will come to a point in the level of performance where the pipe WILL limit your outcome and overall performance. Anything can be done! But my opinion is you will get more $$$ for the Blaster even just with a FMF on it. Just because it shows people that something has been modified. For example, I was looking at a 450R on the ORG and saw a title that said "Nationals Quad", it said "DASA Fully Built MX engine" And I look at the pictures and see a stock pipe. What does that put in your mind? Why in the HELL would they spend all that money and keep the stock pipe when that will limit it in the end? It makes you question the work mentioned.

Just my thoughts and opinions. You know, my 2 cents is worth $37 and change.... ;)

If it weren't for a crack in the head pipe at the elbow I would have modified my stock pipe just to have something to play with/experiment with. There is a baffle right at the begining of the difuser cone and some BS sound deadening inside. I'd rip that out and where it necks down between the two cones I'd make that straight, or even shorten it that much.

Get a Dremal and port it yourself and save $200, there are vids on U tube on it. Clean up casting flaws, don't narrow intake bridge much.

I know someone on another forum with same screen name 8-|, if it's you you know what to do. I:I

Slow and steady wins the race

Never do a fast crappy job, if you get frustrated, just walk away, go get a drink or play some video games lol I:I :D I:I

No offense intended with that. But I didn't see the 1ST Blaster with stock pipe part. My mistake on that one. Just didn't make sense to me. Your Blaster man. :) If Ken can do it and has knowledge of the results from experience, then do it! I wouldn't keep the stock pipe on one of my personal builds but that is me. Eventually you will come to a point in the level of performance where the pipe WILL limit your outcome and overall performance. Anything can be done! But my opinion is you will get more $$$ for the Blaster even just with a FMF on it. Just because it shows people that something has been modified. For example, I was looking at a 450R on the ORG and saw a title that said "Nationals Quad", it said "DASA Fully Built MX engine" And I look at the pictures and see a stock pipe. What does that put in your mind? Why in the HELL would they spend all that money and keep the stock pipe when that will limit it in the end? It makes you question the work mentioned.

Just my thoughts and opinions. You know, my 2 cents is worth $37 and change.... ;)

Yeah you do have a good point, I'd probably get my money back on the pipe...... But honestly, I like how I can be lugging around, snap the throttle and there is actually torque when I'm not on the pipe. Every piped bike I rode seemed to be missing that aspect, banshees included (minus 521 PV), and I think that makes the bike more enjoyable to ride. I want to keep the exact same powerband, just increase the hp throughout that range.
As for re-sell-ability, I think that I can word my ad in a convincing way, even without the pipe, offer test ride etc. BTW, regarding the FMF pipe, on the dyno graph I posted, there is a nice bump in midrange over stock, but the low end torque is down and the over-rev is WAY down, I don't like that.
I wonder if porting would wake up the over-rev (it would have to be alot, just to catch up with stock.....) Plus it looks like it hits alot more violently, and I think my super aggressive riding days are over, unless I built a drag bike, of course, in which case I wouldn't get a blasty)

If it weren't for a crack in the head pipe at the elbow I would have modified my stock pipe just to have something to play with/experiment with. There is a baffle right at the begining of the difuser cone and some BS sound deadening inside. I'd rip that out and where it necks down between the two cones I'd make that straight, or even shorten it that much.
How do you get inside to rip it out?
Are you talking about straightening/ shortening the stinger?

Get a Dremal and port it yourself and save $200, there are vids on U tube on it. Clean up casting flaws, don't narrow intake bridge much.
Yeah, but I don't think I can get the gains I want just with a clean up port... I don't plan on raising the exhaust, I can widen it a little, but I have a feeling reworking the transfer runners might be needed to get where I want to be, I'm not really sure though.... I DO have the right angle attachment already, though, and I think I can do it with a little patience... HMM..... But I still need head work done and it would be easy to just spend and extra $175 and know it's done right.... I'm not really strapped for cash ATM so....

I know someone on another forum with same screen name 8-|, if it's you you know what to do. I:I

Oh that SlowMoe clown at BHQ?
Never heard of him :D