polishing motor help!

michigan_rider

Feb 6, 2011
Romeo, Michigan
hey guys, i am planning on pulling my motor out, polishing the cases and redoing my carb. and i was wondering. if i take my top end off to repaint it will i have to put a new piston in and resleeve it, or can i just take it off and repaint it and bolt it back on???

you can take it off and put it back on. unless the piston is broke, cracked, has too much gap... then it needs replaced. also you will need a new head gasket.

ok i want to remove my top jug, and take my clutch cover off for polishing and my stator cover off for polishing. do i need to drain fluids from my clutch? im new to this...

ok i want to remove my top jug, and take my clutch cover off for polishing and my stator cover off for polishing. do i need to drain fluids from my clutch? im new to this...

No, tip the bike on its side (gas off and hopefully low).
With it over on its side you can remove the clutch cover and lose no oil.
Haven't done it on a Blaster but have done it on many bikes including a DT200 which is pretty near the same motor.

I'd suggest the best quality 2 stroke gearbox oil (Motul perhaps?) for summer use.
It only uses a quart so price is not really and issue, is it?
I do use type "F" ATF when I have clutch problems.
Just don't ever use an "Energy Conserving" motor oil. It will fry the clutch.

Pull the jug and if it worked OK to begin with, it will work just as well with only a new base gasket. No need to undo the head.
While at it you may want to check the piston to head gap with some soft solder and adjust the thickness of the base gasket for a gap of about 0.040" or so.

No, tip the bike on its side (gas off and hopefully low).
With it over on its side you can remove the clutch cover and lose no oil.
Haven't done it on a Blaster but have done it on many bikes including a DT200 which is pretty near the same motor.

I'd suggest the best quality 2 stroke gearbox oil (Motul perhaps?) for summer use.
It only uses a quart so price is not really and issue, is it?
I do use type "F" ATF when I have clutch problems.
Just don't ever use an "Energy Conserving" motor oil. It will fry the clutch.

Pull the jug and if it worked OK to begin with, it will work just as well with only a new base gasket. No need to undo the head.
While at it you may want to check the piston to head gap with some soft solder and adjust the thickness of the base gasket for a gap of about 0.040" or so.

thank you so much dude. im gunna drain it out. but im going to leave the jug alone. but thank you for the help