Plug Chop; pilot, needle n main

mjgnslngr

Dec 11, 2011
Vermont
www.facebook.com
If I wanted to test all stages of jetting, pilot, needle and main, is it as easy as setting the throttle stop and running thru the same sequence as plug chopping for a main? (hold throttle at set and run thru the gears, same as a main jet?) what would the plug look like at low n mid and how to read lean or a rich condition?
We always talk about plug chops for Main jetting, not much about reading or tuning for pilot or needle jetting. Any one have any input???

yeah bud you got the right idea, using the throttle stop screw you can plug chop all ranges. even if you dont ride wot you still need to plug chop for it because you need to know that you are not lean.
but as far as reading the plug goes i dont have the appropriate answer, but i do know that little3mil is good at jetting.

mid range is hard to officially test, its more about feel and the response you get from the bike. it takes some skill to interpret how the bike rides and pick up on the jetting.

With that said, i see no harm in your idea, something to keep in mid however is that the size of the main jet influences the mid range as well, there is overlap and is produced mainly as such: if I have needle st at mid clip with a 230 main, then I stick in a 330 main, obviously my top end will be richer but this also makes the mid range richer. why? because the space between the needle and the main jet that allows fuel passed is bigger at all stages of throttle opening, hence richening up on the main does boost the mid range as well, in cases with modding, you may need to adjust the needle to give the mid range another (richer) platform to work from.

Best way is to pull off and get into about 4th then steadily ease in the throttle , not punching it but gentle, the bike will run through the revs and you should be able to feel the transistion between needle and main, pilot and needle, if you feel a hickup, a burble or a bog, you need to pay attention to the needle.

The needle should always be set last, after your main if plug chopped and your pilot is set at idle